1. Default Colorado Springs to Mesa Verde National Park

Using the new elevation tool, it appears that there is at least one steep elevation gain along route 160. Any trouble for a 2012 Bounder (gas) towing a small car????

Default Sounds like a tunnel to me....

I haven't looked at the map yet -- but are there any tunnels on that route? If so, as described in the notes about the elevation tool -- the elevation levels are not 100% at the road way -- they follow the contours of the land and so if there is a tunnel -- the value won't be at the road surface.

You can always check this by zooming in on any suspect reading and see if there is a tunnel there.

Mark

Default But in this case, it is passes...

On US-Hwy 160:
    Wolf Creek Pass east of Pagosa Springs (10,850ft, 6.5% grade)
    North La Veta Pass west of Walsenburg (9413ft; 6% grade)
    Any trouble for a 2012 Bounder (gas) towing a small car????
    If your car is in good shape, I wouldn't think that the pass will present much of a problem. A 6.5% grade is a significant grade -- just take it slow and steady.

Mark

Default Probably Wolf creek.

I believe the steepest grade along that route would be Wolf Creek pass to the Northeast of Pagosa springs. I think you would be OK in your RV as big rigs travel over it, but you might want to do a search and see for yourself.

[I see mark got in while I was still typing.

5. Default

Thanks for your response. We are planning a trip beginning in southern CA and going to these national parks: Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, UT; Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Rocky Mt., Mesa Verde, CO: Petrified Forest, Monument Valley, AZ/UT. Any route suggestions??

Default One way around a loop.

How much time do you have ? Is it a round trip ?

In either direction, presuming it is a round trip I would look at >GC>MV>Mesa Verde>Black canyon>RMNP>Arches/Canyonlands>Capitol Reef> Bryce canyon> Zion NP>LV>SoCal.

To include Petrified forest you would continue on I40 and then up 191 to 160 to 163 which will also take you past Canyon De Chelley. On the way to Mesa Verde you could take a quick detour to Four corners for 'that' photo of having a limb in each of the 4 States at the same time. From Mesa Verde head to Durango and up up the spectacular 'Million dollar Highway [US550] through the lovely mountain towns of Silverton and Ouray before heading west on US50 to Black canyon and Currecanti Nat Rec area and over Monarch pass. If you wanted to visit Colorado Springs [Garden of the Gods is nearby and Cave of the winds] then continue on US50, if not start heading north on 285 at Poncha springs. Between RMNP and Arches you could camp near Fruita and drive the car around the rim at the Colorado National Monument. From Moab to Capitol Reef take I70 to UT24 and then scenic 12 to Bryce canyon. A couple of twisty sections and single lane byway but I think you will be fine, I have driven it in a 30ft class 'C' [not towing] with no problems. If you go to Zion you will have to pay to go through the Mt Carmel tunnel and queue for a while until they stop on coming traffic from entering the tunnel.

If it's this summer and you don't have reserved sites in the NP's you may have trouble finding them available and will have to search nearby.

7. Default

Thanks Southwest Dave. I'll certainly look at including areas recommended.