1. Default Planning a 6week trip from New York to San Francisco

Hi, my wife and myself would like to plan a 6 week trip across the states ,starting with a couple of days in new York and finishing with a couple of days in san Francisco. We would like just to motel stop on the way, and were wondering what would be the best route to take as we are only doing it this once. We are both 65 and we would like to start next May so any feedback would be appreciated.

Welcome to RTA!

The first thing you need to do is get good paper maps and an atlas, and start looking at places you want to see. Then when you start connecting the dots a route will begin to form.

Welcome to RTA Forums!

Decide how much of that time you want to spend on the road, and how much time you need to stay in one place and actually see something.

Then, you need a map. A paper map, or set of maps. Since you are planning a multi-state trip, a USA map, regional map, or a road atlas of the US will do for starters. Take a pencil, some sticky notes, or other way to mark up the map: what do you want to see? What looks interesting? After a few marks, you'll see a route starting to form.

Next comes the nitty-gritty: planning how long you'll need to get to the places you're going. Beginners, unless you drive for a living, probably won't want to plan to drive more than 450-500 miles in one day. If you're going somewhere further than that, plan an overnight someplace along the way. Can't figure out mileage on the maps? Well, either do it the long way (use a calculator), or use a mapping program like Google Maps. You can get exact mileage. But do NOT use their “driving time” estimates. Plan on averaging 55 mph – 500 miles would be about 9 hours on the road, including food, fuel, bathroom, and stretch-your-legs stops.

Donna

Default All the info you need is right here.

With 6 weeks available you have a nice amount of time to do a cross country road trip with many, many options to choose from when it comes to routes. There are no single 'best' routes or attractions, other than the roads you want to travel and places you want to see. Now we can certainly help you with joining the dots and filling in the blanks, but first you must do a little research and see what catches your eye. As above, paper maps are good and you will need them for when you travel, they are essential. However, the RTA site is full of trip planning info, attractions, routes and so on, all you have to do is dig around a little. You can use the search function or simply scroll down this page and you will see 'Similar threads', click on one of those and repeat as many times as you wish.

Once you have just a few ideas and share your interests with us, we can step in and be much more help than we can by [as things are] throwing darts at a map with a blindfold on. ;-) Any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask !

5. Default

Thanks for taking the time to reply, coming from Scotland its quite hard to determine what places or sights you want to see. That's why we are going to take 5 weeks,3 nights in New York, and 4 nights in San Francisco, 6 weeks in total. I don't expect we will ever do anything like this again so we would like to cram as much as possible in. We would like suggestions as to what to do and what to avoid as much as possible before we start planning. Do we book the car in the UK or wait till we get there and what is a good motel chain.

You will most likely get the best rental car rate if you use a European consolidator such as carhire3000.com. Note that you won't need a car in NYC or SF, parking is difficult and expensive and public transportation is good.

Most hotel chains are actually owned by a few large holding companies. Within these groups you will find chains all the way from budget to luxury. There really isn't anything to recommend one over another, and to maintain flexibility there's really no need to prebook everything. The only exceptions are in or near major popular attractions such as national parks. When driving point to point you will have a wide selection of lodging alongside the major Interstate highways (motorways).

I don't expect we will ever do anything like this again so we would like to cram as much as possible in.
    Oh I think you will, it's like a bug thats hard to shake. Don't try and cram too much, you need to balance your time so that you have time to enjoy and savour the places you visit. Sometimes less is more.

We would like suggestions as to what to do and what to avoid as much as possible before we start planning.
    As has been said, you really need to do a little research for us to be of meaningful help and at least share your goals and interests. There is no single best and your options are in the tens of thousands. I love the natural wonders and small towns and getting off the Interstates, some like City's and historic sites etc. With a trip such as yours you can certainly mix it up a bit, but even having 4 or 5 places you really wanted to see would help us to help you create a route. I love the scenery and National parks of the west and if I were to start looking anywhere, it would be in the Four Corners region [CO,NM,UT,AZ] where you will find a high number of them, [Rocky mountain, Black canyon, Mesa Verde, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce canyon, Zion, Grand canyon] plus amazing and diverse scenery, iconic places like Monument valley, the bright lights of Vegas, scenic byways. One of my favourite places on earth is Yosemite NP and is on route to SF from Vegas where you can also drive across Death valley NP. To the east you might want t6o visit Niagra falls, Chicago, St Louis, you might want to head south to Nashville, Memphis New Orleans, it really is up to you as to what appeals.

Do we book the car in the UK or wait till we get there and what is a good motel chain.
    You should book your car through an on-line rental company before travelling for the best deals. Shop around as deals and prices change as they fight your money in a competitive market. The last we used was rentalcars.com that came up with a good deal. I wouldn't worry to much about finding one hotel chain, again use your on line search engine. To get a good idea of competitive rates check out the RTA motels link to the right of the page.

Default The assumed barrier of age.

As Dave said, it's a bug which is hard to shake. I see no reason why you should regard your age as a reason to treat this as your one and only chance. My once in a lifetime trip, when I was 60, has turned into my now planning my eight trip in a decade and a half. Not only that, but I meet many similarly aged folk along the way.

If you are not sure which sights you want to see, start reading up on the US, watch shows which hilight US history and geography etc. Be sure to read what others have visited in our Roadtrip Field Reports Forum, it will give you lots of ideas and inspiration. Start making a list of all interesting places you see, and research them more. This will lead you onto many more associated places, and soon you will have a list to fill a dozen trips.

Be sure to get hold of those maps, a.s.a.p. See if you can get a copy of the national geographic wall map. It is one of the best. You can get a road atlas from the RTA store at the bottom of this page. (If you order it now, you will have it in a couple of weeks.) It has individual maps of each State which show most of the attractions - natural, historical and touristy. The maps also show all the routes available to you between attractions, and hilights scenic routes.

Enjoy the planning.

Lifey