1. Default Cincinnati, OH to Cupertino, CA

Greetings forum members.

I will be working in Cupertino, CA for at least one month. I need to drive from Cincinnati, OH to Cupertino, CA for work. I will rent a car since it will be paid for by my company. The rental car will likely be a Ford Edge or Jeep Grand Cherokee so it should be a smooth ride.

I have searched the forums and found some older posts that state people can expect to drive about 600 miles per day. Is this still accurate? I will have one other driver with me who will do some of the driving. If 600 miles per day is accurate then I anticipate it will take 4 days to get from Cincinnati, OH to Cupertino, CA.

We do not plan on making any stops for sight-seeing. We will mainly stop for gas, food and rest. Any recommendations or tips on how to make the drive as quickly and safely as possible?

Welcome to RTA!

Yes, this is a 4 day drive. Fastest route is I-74 to I-80. Suggested overnights are Des Moines, Cheyenne, and Wells.

We do not plan on making any stops for sight-seeing. We will mainly stop for gas, food and rest. Any recommendations or tips on how to make the drive as quickly and safely as possible?
    As you drive your 600-mile days, you might want to stop every few hours and switch drivers. While switching, stretch your legs, get your brain awake. If you are used to waking early anyway, you might find that you can make the best time early in the morning. My husband and I get on the road at 6 in the morning and drive until we get hungry for breakfast. If you take GLC's advice and stop in Des Moines and Cheyenne overnight, stay on the west edges of the city so that you don't have to start your day with rush hour traffic. (Wells shouldn't have that issue.)

You and your co-driver may have to deal with things such as who chooses the music, the lodging, and the restaurants/places to eat.

Donna

4. Default

Yes, I think you can do it in four days. I did a similar trip last year and it was doable, particularly with a companion doing some of the driving. Make sure you have worked out the best way to split the driving - for example, if one of you gets sleepy in the afternoons make sure that's when the other person is on shift. When stopping at motels where you don't really know the standard, never stay in one that says they don't give a refund for early check-out. Or at least check out the room before you pay. Some places can be less than nice!

Default I'll second that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bairey View Post
    Or at least check out the room before you pay. Some places can be less than nice!
    Definitely check out the room before you commit. I have made a practice of always doing that, check for cleanliness and to see if the smoke detector has not been disabled. I also like to check that it has a lock which cannot be opened from the outside.

No one has ever objected to my request.

Lifey