Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Default South East USA Round Trip

    Hi folks.
    Would appreciate some input for a 28 day trip to south eastern states my wife and I intend to make in September 2015.
    We fly into Washington DC at beginning of Sept, picking up a car at the airport before staying with my cousin in Stafford, VA for 2-3 days. We will move on to Scottsville, VA for 1-2 days and then we have a blank sheet until we fly out from Washington DC on first few days of October. A couple of years back we did SF, LA, GC, Arches, Bryce, Zion, LV, DV, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe (just because the Government had closed all NP's!) back to SF. We covered about 4-5,000 miles, so we are not afraid of travelling and we have some fabulous memories of that trip. We've done DC, northern Virginia, Outer Banks and Florida so we thought it was about time we did the rest of the south east.
    We like music (not that keen on country) so consider that Macon, Nashville, Memphis and possibly New Orleans are all definite stops. We are interested in history (museums and battlefields) - possibly Selma (having seen the film), Montgomery, Savannah and Charleston. Possibly go to St Louis to meet some fellow travellers we met in China earlier this year, but this is only a possibility. Enjoy walking but not into hiking. My wife didn't make it to Cape Canaveral (20 years ago the kids didn't want to go??) so Huntsville looks another possibility.
    As I said 'we have a blank sheet'.
    All suggestions or routes would be greatly appreciated.
    Chris

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    9,358

    Default A Rough Outline

    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

    With so much time and such a vast area to cover, there are literally thousands of possible combinations of roads and venues that you can choose from. And as you say, at this point all you've got is a blank sheet. So all we can do now is suggest a few places and connecting routes that you might enjoy and then let you start stringing them together in a way that lets you see as much as you can (but not as much as you'd 'want'). Let's start with some of the roads that you should really try to include in any RoadTrip of the Southeast: Skyline Drive, the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Natchez Trace, the Creole Nature Trail, and however much of the Great River Road as is necessary.

    You already seem to have a number of target cities, so I'd only add one more. Austin TX has perhaps one of the most vibrant and varied music scenes in the country and might make a fitting turn-around point or ultimate destination. Other than that I'll just point out a few specific sites you might want to include. Outside Selma is Old Cahawba, Alabama's first capital and the site of an ongoing archaeological restoration and museum. The Mississippi Petrified Forest makes for a pleasant walk. Both Natchez and Vicksburg MS have antebellum plantation homes to tour, with Vicksburg also offering a major Civil War Battlefield. For more recent history, you might want to bear east a bit and include FDR's Little White House, or go a little farther west from Austin and see the LBJ Ranch. But I would caution you that even a month is not forever, and if you want to seriously explore the Southeast and have already seen much of the coast (the Outer Banks and Florida), that you skip the shore on this trip and save Savannah and Charleston for another trip where you can devote the time to them that they really deserve.

    AZBuck

  3. #3

    Default

    Thank you AZBuck for those ideas.
    I think Austin, TX would be outside of our range, as it is expected that this will be our last road tour in the US - age and insurance can make it very prohibitive for visitors to the US. I think it is an American 'thing' that you hold your Presidents in such awe and wish to visit their childhood or retirement homes. Certainly it not something we would contemplate in the UK with our Prime Ministers. I will certainly take on board your other suggestions and see if we can incorporate them into our tour.
    Thanks again
    Chris

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrosia46 View Post
    Thank you AZBuck for those ideas.
    I think Austin, TX would be outside of our range, as it is expected that this will be our last road tour in the US - age and insurance can make it very prohibitive for visitors to the US. I think it is an American 'thing' that you hold your Presidents in such awe and wish to visit their childhood or retirement homes. Certainly it not something we would contemplate in the UK with our Prime Ministers. I will certainly take on board your other suggestions and see if we can incorporate them into our tour.
    Thanks again
    Chris
    you are right about attachment with president and its related stuff , but you don't do in british ,because i think in British you don't have presidential system .right ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,936

    Default Wrong terminology.

    Quote Originally Posted by shazie View Post
    you are right about attachment with president and its related stuff , but you don't do in british ,because i think in British you don't have presidential system .right ?
    Perhaps that should have read.... 'Head of State'.

    In which case the British are just as good at it, with the tourism to all the castles, etc. Touring there you will get the full story.

    Lifey

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Perhaps that should have read.... 'Head of State'.

    In which case the British are just as good at it, with the tourism to all the castles, etc. Touring there you will get the full story.

    Lifey
    every country have its own custom and laws , by the way did you find any place in US where you were not allowed to visit ? you may even visit to white house what else ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,936

    Default

    I do not recall being barred from anywhere. On several occasions I have been lost and ended up on a military base, but the person at the gate would help me turn around and help get me back on route. I visited the White House a couple of days before the attack on NYC and also visited the Pentagon a that week. I often wonder what happened to all the historic artifacts and models they had there in what I assume was their museum.

    In Britain there were tours of Hampton Court Castle, Windsor Castle and a couple of other I don't recall. After a while they all start to look the same.

    Lifey

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    I do not recall being barred from anywhere. On several occasions I have been lost and ended up on a military base, but the person at the gate would help me turn around and help get me back on route. I visited the White House a couple of days before the attack on NYC and also visited the Pentagon a that week. I often wonder what happened to all the historic artifacts and models they had there in what I assume was their museum.

    In Britain there were tours of Hampton Court Castle, Windsor Castle and a couple of other I don't recall. After a while they all start to look the same.

    Lifey
    one thing which we can not deny that British have rich history !
    Last edited by shazie; 07-04-2015 at 09:56 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Roadtrip north/south east USA: New York --> Miami, May 2015: Which route?
    By The Driving Dutchman in forum Spring RoadTrips
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-14-2015, 06:29 AM
  2. North East USA/South East Canada Road Trip
    By aSonicYouth in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-21-2012, 08:54 AM
  3. Washington to east coast national parks round trip
    By hermoni in forum Share the Gas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2012, 02:51 PM
  4. North-East USA/South-East Canada trip.
    By matthewh133 in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-26-2011, 08:40 AM
  5. East & South East Road Trip this Summer-Advice, Comments?
    By Bullseye777 in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 05:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name

    Loading...



  • MORE STORIES