1. Default South west road trip jan/feb assistance.

Hi, I'm new to this site and was just after some assistance in my planning. My partner and I are in our early/mid twenties and are from Australia and are planning a round trip starting in Vegas between January and February 2016. We have roughly 4-6 weeks in which we can travel and have come up with a decent itinerary.

We will be renting a small 4wd from Vegas and returning it to Vegas. We will stay in basic accomodation. As a general overview, We will start in Vegas and head towards Phoenix via Grand Canyon, flagstaff and meteor crater. From there we will head to Tucson and then continue to las cruces (NM). From las cruces we will travel to Carlsbad and onto Roswell and alberqurque. We aren't sure whether or not to travel to Cortez (CO) via Santa Fe ? Or straight from alberquque ?. From Cortez we will head back to Las Vegas via northern New Mexico, southern Utah and Northern Arizona visiting national parks and monuments (four corners, ship rock, valley of gods, monument valley, antelope anyone, Bruce canyon, Zion and more depending on weather of course).

Our main concerns are whether or not we have enough time for this trip ? How long should this trip realistically take in winter? Whether or not the time of year we are going is suitable for this type (mainly sites/nature) trip ? and basically if you think there is anything we should change/delete/add to the trip ?

I appreciate all your help, thank you.

South of England.

Default A nice amount of time.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I would say you have plenty of time to relax and enjoy your trip. Unfortunately the weather is totally unpredictable but you could see winter storms, ice and snow just about anywhere on your travels. The advantage of travelling way out of peak season is that the crowds are long gone and you have no real need to book lodgings in advance, meaning you can decide what to do after the weather has decided what it wants to do and just hold up where you are in the event of a storm. I am not sure if that is a typo or not, but NM is in the opposite direction of Utah etc from Cortez. From Albu you could visit NM, including Santa Fe, and then continue to Cortez and eventually LV.

A few National parks you may or may not have considered would include Mesa Verde, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef and Death valley. Keep researching your options both with routes and attractions and if you have any questions, let us know.

Melbourne, Australia

Default A great trip.

From Flagstaff make sure you take the short detour through Oak Creek Canyon and the Red Rock country on your way south. One interesting and less visited NM is in the south west corner of Arizona. Not far off I-10. Chiricahua National Monument with its Wonderland of Rocks is very much worth a visit. You will no doubt see many more places which interest you when you look on some really good maps.

Do you have maps to help you plan this trip. If not, I would highly recommend that you obtain some. If they are not available locally, you could order a Rand McNally road atlas from the RTA store below. You'll have it in a couple of weeks, and even though it covers all of North America, getting individual maps before you go over could cost a lot more.

You don't say in which State you live, but if you are a member of RACV, NRMA or similar, be sure to take your membership with you. It will give you access to free maps and tourism information from the AAA all over the US. You can then pick up individual maps on your arrival.

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Default Northern New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleyv1
    We aren't sure whether or not to travel to Cortez (CO) via Santa Fe ? Or straight from alberquque ?
    Either way would work, but unless the weather presents a problem, I’d recommend going up through Santa Fe and north-central New Mexico. There’s a lot of great things to see in Santa Fe and nearby (like Bandelier and Chimayo), and some beautiful country to drive through on your way to Colorado.