1. Default Advice on roadtrip from Lansing MI to Mount Rushmore

My family would like to take a road trip from Lansing MI to Mount Rushmore this August. We have 6 nights.
    We would like to drive 3 days on our way to SD (2 nights) and take 2 days (1 night) to drive on return to Michigan. We'll be staying in hotels along the way.
    Any suggestions on:
    the route to take to and from South Dakota
    the best places to stop overnight, and
    the attractions we should see along the way would be appreciated.
    Thank you!

Tucson, AZ

Default Start With the Obvious

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Actually, you only have a limited amount of freedom in your planning. If you want to make the return trip in two days with only a single overnight stop, then you pretty much have to take I-90 to Chicago then I-94/I-69 to Lansing and make no stops. Your night's stay would be in the Rochester MN area, somewhere right off the highway between Marion and St. Charles. Your only minor option would be whether to take I-94 from Madison through Milwaukee rather than I-90 through Rockford.

Similarly, with only two full days in southwestern South Dakota, your choices are again somewhat limited. But at least you can choose a few of your favorites from the area attractions including Mount Rushmore, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, the Crazy Horse Memorial, and Devils Tower. You won't have time for all of them so choose carefully.

Where you do have a range of choices is on your three day journey westbound. That one day in addition to the minimum required just to get there means that you can travel at a more leisurely pace, see a few things, and/or bypass the madness that is Chicago. Of those three, I'd concentrate on the last two. You can either swing around Chicago to the south or north. Of the two, I think that the northern route through the UP, and central Minnesota and South Dakota is the more interesting. But it does take longer, leaving time for only a few carefully chosen stops. The ones I'd probably make time for would be Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on Day 1, maybe Crane Meadows National Wildlife Refuge on Day 2, and Badlands National Park on Day 3.

3. Default

I've driven from Detroit to Rapid City many times and have always stopped to see the Badlands of SD. The landscapes are unique and fascinating. As you leave the Badlands, you come across the bizzare town of Wall Drug. You can easily spend a couple hours here.

Another unusual place in SD is the Mitchell Corn Palace. This seems to be a love it or hate it attraction.