1. Default Hey all Traveling from longisland ny to Oro valley az

Looking for a fast safe route for me and my family

Welcome to the RTA forum!

When it comes to safety on a roadtrip, the route is about the least important factor. The US Interstate highway system is among the safest highway systems in the world. Its your own behaviors as a driver that are far more important - with making sure you are getting enough rest being one of the most overlooked, yet most important factors.

There are lots of routes you could take, depending upon your goals, but for fastest, I'd probably take I-78 to I-81 to I-40 to I-30 to I-20 to I-10 through Knoxville, Memphis, Little Rock and Dallas. Its about a 2500 mile drive, and you need to plan at least 5 days on the road for a safe trip - more time if you want to stop and see things along the way.

3. Default Trip

Thanks Michael,
    Does that take you very long through Texas?
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-27-2015 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Removed unneeded and misformatted quote

Default self help

You really need to look at a map yourself, so you have an idea of what anyone will be talking about and so you can be prepared for a safe trip.

But long story short, yes, that route would basically take you all the way across Texas.

5. Default

Well I was thinking about going to Oklahoma but was worried about the weather

As I said in the first place, there are lots of routes you could take - the one I suggested is just one of millions of possibilities - without having any idea of what you are looking for (which you haven't mentioned in any of your one line posts) - you've left others to simply guess.

It's impossible to say what the weather will be on any given day....

Michael has given you some great advice. You definitely need a paper map of the US or at least at road atlas, in order to see the big picture. A 15" screen isn't going to give you the detail of your trip, such as scenic highways or quick stops to make, that are shown on a paper map. It's part of the safety he was talking about. The roads were engineered to certain specifications for safety reasons, but it is still up to the driver to make safe decisions. Having a paper map in the car and proper rest are among those safety measures.

Paper maps can be gotten free if you are a member of AAA, which also acts as a peace-of-mind for emergency road service. If you aren't a member, and don't want to join, you can get a decent road atlas at a big box store for about $10.

That said, I'm going to offer a slightly different route. It starts out like Michael's (I-78 to I-81 to I-40) but at Albuquerque, you turn south on I-25 to I-10, then west. Since you seem a little concerned about the length of time in Texas, I-40 takes you 177 miles across the Texas Panhandle. Yes, it takes you most of the length of Oklahoma. It's still a 2500 mile drive, and that's still a 5-day drive.

As for weather -- if you have a smart-phone, your phone WILL alert you if you are near a tornado unless you have specifically asked your provider for no weather alerts. If you have access to NOAA weather channels on the radio, it is a good idea to turn those on when you are crossing through Tornado Alley. (We have them on our CB, but you can also get an NOAA app for your phone.) There's no way that we, or even the weather-guessers, can tell you that a tornado will show up on the days you travel through a given area.

Donna

south on I-25 to I-10,
    There is a shortcut that will save you quite a bit of time if you take that route - at Hatch, take NM-26 to Deming. That cuts off more than 50 miles.

Another option is take US-54 from Santa Rosa to Alamogordo, then US-70 to Las Cruces. This is actually the quickest way to get from I-40 to I-10.

These non-Interstate roads out west are not 4 lane, but they are safe and fast, speed limits are generally 65.

9. Default

Hi Donna,
    thanks I think I like the route you suggested.
    Going threw Oklahoma should be too bad.
    we are just going to stop at random. what if I took 40-30 threw dallas? so I can go to Gas Monkey Garage
    thanks for all the advice.

The route through Dallas is the route that was originally suggested.

What is your question about it?