1. Default Sites to see from NE Indiana to Norfolk, VA and back

Me, my two daughters, 9 &11 are driving the northern route through OH, PA, Maryland, WA to Norfolk, VA and taking the southern route through NC, TN, and KY back home to northeast Indiana.

I'm trying to find great stops along the trip to see sites and do things with my girls! Does anyone know of some great places?? I'm already looking in the White House, Shenandoah Caverns, Williamsburg area, I'd love to know great shelling beaches in VA, also looking at lost sea caverns in TN, and a stop in Nashville just not sure where!

I'll take ANY ideas!! My girls have been sheltered and they love everything. Please help me with ideas!

If anyone mapquests the routes going from Angola, IN to Norfolk, VA northern route, and Norfolk through NC, TN, and KY back to Angola, IN, they will see the areas I will be traveling through. :)

Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

How much time are you planning for the trip?

My family drove out to Norfolk last summer. A couple of places we stopped at on the way there included the West Virginia State Capitol, New River Gorge (National Recreation Area), Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, and Richmond. Heading back, we went across North Carolina, and made stops at Cumberland Gap National Historic Park, and Abe Lincoln's Boyhood Home in Kentucky.

If you're thinking of going through Washington, then there's so much more than the White House that you could spend days around there. If you're heading all the way to Nashville, and Shenandoah Caverns sounds interesting then you might look to stop at Mammoth Cave on your way back to Indiana.

Southern California

As Michael just noted, you could spend days, weeks in the DC area seeing what's around there. Your children are at the age where US history is very much a part of the public school curriculum -- usually 4th and 5th grade -- and anything you can show them, will bring those studies to life. He mentioned a few, so here are some more: Fort McHenry, Lincoln Center, Arlington National Cemetery and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the National Mall with many memorials, the US Congress (get an appointment with your local senator or representative to make it REALLY come to life), any number of different museums within the Smithsonian, Manassas, Antietam, Appomattox, Ford's Theatre, George Washington's Mount Vernon, and more.

Any time you stop at a place administered by the National Park Service, go to the Visitor Center. Ask about the Junior Ranger program. It is a series of activities that children (of all ages) do, which will help them learn about the place they are visiting, rather than the "yeah, Mom, I see that, when's lunch?" reaction. After they complete the Jr Ranger for that site, they can get a pin, badge, patch, or similar, to remember their experiences.

Another thing you might have your kids do: make a journal. Write in it, include photographs or drawings of things they saw. This will be a wonderful resource when school starts in the fall and they have to write the inevitable "what I did on my summer vacation" essay.

4. Default

I'm sorry! And thank you for the welcoming.
    We will be along the northern route from NE Indiana, OH, PA, Washington D.C., and into Norfolk, VA....that is a drive I plan on doing in two days.

We are staying in VA for a week. That's why I'm also looking for best beaches so my daughters can find shells and see sea life.

On the way back we will go to NC for two days and then finally we plan on taking 3-4 days to come home using the southern route through TN, KY, and up home to NE Indiana.

5. Default

Wow, thank you for those ideas!! That's great!!

6. Default

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated too!! Thank you again to those that replied!!