1. Default New Rochelle, NY to Hopkinsville, KY - November 2015

I will be visiting from the UK in November, and my cousin and I would like to take a road trip from his home in NY to visit relatives in KY for a couple of days

As I will only be in the USA for two weeks, we are hoping to do the whole trip within a week. My first question is, is this feasible?

Google maps says the distance is 935 miles and a driving time of nearly 14 hours - am I right in assuming that this would not factor in any stops, and that is the actual driving time?

We would hope to share the driving, although he is not in the best of health, so potentially, the job of driver could fall to just one person, me!

We would hope to stop and stay in a motel/hotel for one night on both legs of the trip. Firstly I was looking at maybe going half way then stopping, but wondered if it would be more sensible to go further the first day, so less left to do the next?

Any views on any of the above would be greatly appreciated!

Default Google, routes and attractions.

Hi and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

... am I right in assuming that this would not factor in any stops, and that is the actual driving time?
    Not only are you correct, but it also assumes that you will be travelling at or above the speed limit at all times. No slowing down for traffic, or anything else. Count on around covering a distance of 50 - 55 mph. 935 miles, count on two days of relaxed driving. Half way is always a better place to stop.

That leaves you three days to detour and do some sightseeing. You may like to include part of the Blue Ridge Parkway, Shanandoah NP and Smokey Mountains NP. Very scenic places. Alternatively, you might like to look on the maps and choose some of the lesser driven and more scenic routes which would take you through small town America. In fact there is plethora of routes and attractions available.

Get your friend to make sure he has some good maps. If he is a member of AAA he can get them from their office nearby, or else he could pick up a Rand McNally road atlas at any of the big box stores, stationary stores or truck stops..

Lifey

3. Default

Hi and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum
    Hello, thank you for having me!

Thanks also for your suggestions and explanations above - all very helpful. I have a Rand McNally road atlas at home in England, but am so used to using the internet for everything I didn't even think about it. I'll go take a look.

Thanks again

Default A great thing to have to plan a trip.

You are one ahead of just about every foreign visitor we get on RTA. I have my Rand McNally by my computer constantly, to enable me respond. The only thing I use computer mapping for is to get distances.

One suggestion, which I do for every roadtrip I take, is at the end of each day I highlight each and every road on which I travelled. Makes a great souvenir of the trip, and years later, sometimes months later it is hard to recall exactly which road you took. Needless to say I purchase a new one each visit.

As you look at the routes you will see along each route which attractions there are that may interest you and your friend. Then use the computer to find out more about them. You can find even more attractions if you go to the Roadside attractions link at the bottom of this page.

Some of the most interesting routes to follow are the old US highways - the two and three numbers in a small shield.

Lifey

One week is 7 days - 2 days each way and 2 days in KY only leaves you 1 extra day (not 3 days) to do any sightseeing. This isn't enough to get too far off the beaten track.

6. Default

You are one ahead of just about every foreign visitor we get on RTA

With lots of relatives dotted about in the states, I have done quite a bit of driving over there over the years, but I have never made a trip of this length and have never had such a time constraint.

One suggestion, which I do for every roadtrip I take, is at the end of each day I highlight each and every road on which I travelled.
    I think this is an excellent idea, thanks for the suggestion :-)

also, thanks for your advice glc

One week is 7 days - 2 days each way and 2 days in KY only leaves you 1 extra day (not 3 days) to do any sightseeing. This isn't enough to get too far off the beaten track.
    You are right not much time for sightseeing this time, which is a shame.