Thread: First Timer

1. Default First Timer

Hello folks,

I had planned on visiting my son in Tucson sometime in the Fall when its a little cooler but he just informed me that a duty assignment (that he cannot discuss) will have him long gone by the time we intended on our visit. Fast forward to now - we have to make the trip in July (probably leaving around the 11th). In my 71 years I have made many cross country trips from Florid to California but always in the Fall or early Winter. I anticipate driving I-10 from Titusville (FL) to Tucson. Any heads-up advice as to road conditions and/or severe weather conditions?

Thanks so much for your valued input.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There really isn't too much that should be different for your trip by traveling in summer. It's a bit more important to make sure your car is in top shape before hitting the road - especially the air conditioning and cooling systems. And it's even more important to follow good, basic safety practices, like bringing water and letting people know where you plan to be, but otherwise, there's not much else you need to be worried about.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

My husband and I made that very trip about 3 years ago, except going in the opposite direction (San Diego, through Tucson, and eventually into Titusville). Michael's tips about your vehicle condition, bringing water, making sure someone has your travel plans, are right on. Here are some other things we noted:

* Traveling early in the morning, particularly in the west Texas area, gives you a break from the heat. We would leave at daybreak, travel 2-3 hours and then get breakfast. Bear in mind that some places in west Texas don't open until 6:30 am for breakfast.

* I-10 is still pretty good road. I'd rather travel on it during the summer, or at least in the fall, though I'd swing a bit north if I heard that a hurricane or Tropical storm was heading in. When we were in MS, we were there at the middle of Tropical Storm Debby in 2012. The rain dumped on us when we were in a restaurant having dinner!

Other than that, it's probably going to be similar to other times you've driven it. If your son is military, please tell him "thank you for your service" from us ... especially in this day and age.

4. Default

Thank you Donna & Michael for the very sound advice. Driving across Texas, as daunting as that is, in February @ 11 degrees Fahrenheit and clear skies is my kind of trip. One year I did it in an old Navy van I had purchased at a military auction - no insulation at all and I slept in it at that first rest area west of El Paso - it was 14 degrees outside and I was snuggled in between two dirt bikes and a whole lotta blankets - I loved it!

Doing this in the summer time is not something I looked forward to but as it turns out my son has plans that conflict with our planned arrival date, so I told him "call me when you get back (from wherever it is you're going) and we'll make better plans with time enough to plan properly - which to me means Fall or Winter!

This is a cool site so I'll be checking often to see if I can be of any help as you two were to me.

Titusville (FL)