View Poll Results: What should my trip consist of

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go to the directly grand canyon and make side trips on the way back

0 0%
  • Go to the grand canyon, then monument valley then straight back

0 0%
  • Go along route 66, stop at X places (say in post) along the way and come back

0 0%
  1. Default Recommendations 9 Days Start Oshkosh Wisconsin Along Route 66, what do you recommend?

We would like to have an enjoyable drive and get to see as much as is reasonable, we might drive in shifts in "boring" stretches to make time.

We are wondering what places you would recommend?

I have thought about going directly to the canyon (fast), seeing grand canyon, then stopping at places along route 66 on the way back.

Does this sound too ambitious?

We like parks, natural beauty, good food, moderately priced lodging :) and of coarse historic places, museums and whatnot.

Any ideas?

My gal likes country music related stuff but no idea if there is anything on route 66 that fits that bill :)

Thanx
    Ryan

Welcome to RTA! I'm not sure that I would ever be brave enough to ask other people what they think I should do with my vacation time, as far as a poll is concerned, but you did come to the right place to help you plan it.

First to know is that it's almost 1800 miles, by the most direct route, to get from Oshkosh WI to the Grand Canyon. That is 3 very long days on the highway (600 miles per day), or 4 shorter ones (450 miles). Getting back is going to take you about the same amount of time, so in reality, you're going to use 6-8 days of your 9 days, just for the drive. That does not include your time at the Grand Canyon, or stopping at anything along historic Route 66 (the route's been decommissioned for years).

Tip: it's not conducive to a good vacation, to drive non-stop straight through to your destination, if your destination is more than 600 miles away. Two drivers does NOT help, because the passenger should be keeping the driver from drifting off, and they should change out every few hours. Three drivers may help, but in reality, you arrive so tired at your destination that you don't want to do anything for hours.

Donna

As said, you are going to spend a lot of time behind the wheel for little time at the destination. Would flying to Phoenix or Vegas be an option ? If so you could take your time and explore more of what this area has to offer

Default Other options.

Why not choose a destination closer to home, which has many of the places you both like. within a two day drive, and have a great holiday. There is so much within easy rich of WI. Leave the faraway places until you have time to really appreciate and enjoy them.

It's not as if the Grand Canyon, etc. are going to disappear any time soon.

Lifey

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Why not choose a destination closer to home, which has many of the places you both like. within a two day drive, and have a great holiday. There is so much within easy rich of WI. Leave the faraway places until you have time to really appreciate and enjoy them.

It's not as if the Grand Canyon, etc. are going to disappear any time soon.

Lifey
    Now I will probably go to niagara falls :)

I was looking for things to do along Route 66 going from wisconsin through chicago and out a bit that would fit into 9 days.

Obviously I could just travel to sites in IL.