1. Default Nashville to Denver

We're going to be driving to Denver in early September. We won't be taking a lot of extra time, but wanted to know the best sites to stop at in the few days we will be traveling. Just two adults, one more ancient than the other. 😉. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome to RTA!

So, how long do you have for the trip? Is this a one-way or a round-trip? Via the shortest route (I-24 to I-57 to I-70), it's about 1200 miles. That could be two very long days in the car, or three shorter ones.

We don't really do "best sites" here, because one person's "must see" is another person's "must pass". If you told us the types of things that you'd say were "best" (i.e., scenic, museums, history, etc), we might be able to help you a little more. You could also take a look at the Map Center on this site, because it will show you what's along your intended route/s that someone here has personally checked out.

That said, I'll throw out some ideas -- in St Louis, there's the Gateway Arch and the Museum of Westward Expansion. About 20 miles south of I-70 in central Missouri is Hermann, a town with many wineries and breweries. Arrow Rock State Park is also in central Missouri. Near Independence, MO, there is the Harry S Truman Library. Near Abilene, KS, is the Dwight D Eisenhower Library. There's also a chocolate factory outlet shop in that area, for Russell Stover. In Burlington, CO, is an older carousel.

Donna

Via the shortest route (I-24 to I-57 to I-70)
    That would be I-24 to I-57 to I-64 to I-70.

Default When We Start to Slow Down and Smell the Roses

For those of us of a certain age, getting there in the least amount of time by sitting behind the wheel for endless hour after hour has lost whatever charm it once had. So the first thing I would suggest to you is that stops don't necessarily have to be the 'best' (whatever that is), they just have to be frequent and free. That said, however, there are a few sites along your drive that are worth more than just a brief stop. In St. Louis, the obvious attraction is the Arch, out in the western suburbs is the intriguing Museum of Transportation. And besides the wonderful (and free!) St. Louis Zoo, there's Grant's Farm. Sadly, the Museum of Westward Expansion is no more.

Just east of Kansas City, in Independence, there is the little visited but ultimately fascinating Harry Truman's home, and outside Abilene KS is Ike's Library and Museum. Finally, while I wouldn't count myself as one, I am fascinated by fossils.

AZBuck

My daughter just gave me the low-down of the St Louis Zoo, as she was just there a couple of weeks ago: admission is still free. However, once you get in, they do ask money for various things, read on:

Attraction Fees

Admission to the Zoo is FREE, although there are fees for some attractions. Attractions are weather dependent and subject to change.

Sea Lion Show is $4 per person. Children under 2 are free. (Seasonal)
    Children's Zoo is $4 per person. Free admission the first hour the Zoo is open. Children under 2 are free.
    Conservation Carousel is $3 per person. Free admission during first hour of operation. Children under 2 are free. All other persons require admission. All proceeds support the Saint Louis Zoo's conservation programs.
    Stingrays at Caribbean Cove is $4 per person. Free admission the first hour the Zoo is open. Children under 2 are free. (Seasonal)
    Zooline Railroad is $5 per person, per round trip ticket. You may leave the train, visit exhibits and re-board. Children under 2 are free.
    4-D Motion Simulator is $4 per person. Children under 2 are free. All other persons require admission.
    Movie in The Living World is $4/public; $3/members. Children under 2 are free.
    Safari Tours are $5 per person. (Seasonal)
    Wild Wonder Outpost discovery room is $2 per person for Zoo members and $3 per person for non-members.

So sad to hear about the Museum of Westward Expansion. That was an incredible museum.

Donna

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Travelling Lloyds View Post
    We're going to be driving to Denver in early September. We won't be taking a lot of extra time, but wanted to know the best sites to stop at in the few days we will be traveling. Just two adults, one more ancient than the other. ��. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    are you going to use your own car or caravans ?