Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Solo trip out west from east Tennessee

After reading several threads on various websites, I decided I would be better off seeking guidance for my trip specifically, rather than only reading comments about other similar trips. I graduated college this spring and before I set out into the workforce and start my career I want to enjoy my last summer before the "real word" begins this fall. I will be traveling in my own vehicle (Toyota tacoma) with a camper shell over the bed that has been converted into a living quarters. I have 2 main stops on the itinerary, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. I initially wanted to hit all the large NP's outwest, but after reading other's experiences I realized that is not an option. The time available for the trip is flexible and I realize its 4000 miles roundtrip to Grand Tetons alone therefore I am cutting out the the idea of Zion, Yosemite, etc. All of the lodging will primarily be in my vehicle eliminating lodging costs. I am looking for any tips/recommendations on the route as well as other attractions on the way or in close proximity. Thanks!

Default Be careful where you sleep in your vehicle.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Where are you proposing to park while sleeping in your vehicle? Be aware that staying overnight at rest areas is both dangerous, and in most States illegal. The only places you should consider this is at the rest areas where there is night time security.

By far your best spots include State Parks and State Forests as well as National Forests and BLM lands. For a not so much a camping experience truck stops are the only other alternative. Be sure to always ask at the cashier, and park where directed. It is a courtesy to then also give them some of your business: fill your tank, eat in their restaurant, etc.

Be sure to book accommodation at Yellowstone as soon as you know your dates. Accommodation is limited and much sought after. If at first it is fully book, keep checking back for possible cancellations.

Have a safe and rewarding trip.

Lifey

Welcome to RTA!

As Lifey says, be careful where you sleep in your vehicle. As much as it would be nice, it isn't going to be possible to completely eliminate lodging costs. Truck stops may be "free" for the overnight, but giving them some business is almost a necessity. You *may* be able to find some free BLM (Bureau of Land Management) campsites, but these are few and far between, and they aren't going to be close to the highway or near to a touristy place. Next step up are your state and national forests and park campsites, which will cost $15-25 per night. That will usually get you a nice site with access to water nearby and either flush or pit toilets. *Some* will have showers available, though many will be coin-op showers. (You can also get showers at truck stops, but those will set you back $10-15.)

There are a few first-come, first-served campsites in Yellowstone. Be in line before 8 am to get one, and be aware that it may not be in your first-choice of campground. Camping in Yellowstone is over and above the $25 fee to get into the park.

Donna

4. Default

Sorry, I should have worded that better. I meant lowering lodging costs, not eliminating. I plan on trying to find wal-marts that allow overnight parking, state parks, national etc. I plan on camping whenever the opportunity presents itself. Online you can find walmart stores by state that allow overnight parking and I have friends who have had nice experiences in the past doing so.

I'd sleep at a truck stop before I'd sleep at a Walmart.

Default Truck stops.

I have to admit, I would rather be at a truck stop, with all its facilities than in the carpark of any big box store. My last several trips a large number of my nights were spent at truck stops - with their microwaves, driver's lounge with TV, as well as the normal facilities.

Lifey

Default Time and budget 'meet' at some point.

The obvious thing to do would be to create a loop where you take a different route in each direction. Where you go and what you do will depend on time and when you say that is flexible, it's hard to guess at what that might mean. When time is not the main issue, budget usually is and then the budget has a certain hold on time you can afford so the two are connected. So it would help if you were to say whether you are seeing a couple of weeks, or 6 weeks [for example] as realistic. One option would be to head out towards Denver and Rocky mountain NP and perhaps further west, maybe Arches and Canyonlands NP's, before heading north to the Tetons. After Yellowstone you could head east towards Rushmore and the Badlands etc before turning south. I would suggest you do a little research and see what appeals to you and once you have a few markers on the map a route will begin to form.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    The obvious thing to do would be to create a loop where you take a different route in each direction.
    Dave check the OP.... this is a one way trip, a relocation.

Lifey

I read it as a round trip.

Default My bad.

OOOOoops!! I mistook it for another thread I had open at the same time.

Lifey