1. Default Planning a trip in Oregon and Washington

We are planning to go from Spokane, Washington the see the Redwoods in southwest Oregon and then up the coast to Seattle, then back to Spokane stopping in Leavenworth, Washington. We understand the coastal highway is l0l--is this right? Which route should we take and how long will it take us? We have 6 days.

We have also heard there is a highway from Seattle east towards Glacier that is spectacular. Is this correct and will it fit into our time schedule?

Welcome to RTA!

Correct - the Oregon coastal highway is US-101.

There are 3 main ways to get from Seattle to Spokane.

1. I-90
    2. US-2 (goes right through Leavenworth)
    3. WA-20 (North Cascades Highway, goes considerably north of where you want to be)

The redwoods in Oregon are not as spectacular as the ones in Northern California. It is a pretty forest area. And a good hiking area.

Leavenworth is a beautiful town.

Default Head down the coast.

Have you thought of reversing this trip, and doing it anti clockwise. Heading down the coast, rather than up the coast, will put you on the ocean side of the road for better views.

I would endorse taking US2 to Spokane. It is a lovely highway.

Lifey

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Have you thought of reversing this trip, and doing it anti clockwise. Heading down the coast, rather than up the coast, will put you on the ocean side of the road for better views.

I would endorse taking US2 to Spokane. It is a lovely highway.

Lifey
    Thanks so much for the advice. My husband had suggested doing just this, but not for the same reasons. Would anyone go into California then to see the Redwoods? Are they very far down into California?

Default Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by birdie77 View Post
    Thanks so much for the advice. My husband had suggested doing just this, but not for the same reasons. Would anyone go into California then to see the Redwoods? Are they very far down into California?
    The Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park is only a few miles over the border. Further down you have the Redwoods NP, and quite a bit further you have the Humboldt Redwoods State Park with the Avenue of Giants. The latter being the best, in my opinion, but others may disagree.

It strikes me that you are planning this trip with electronics, and not with good old paper maps. A good map will show you exactly where they are and which route to take. Maps are invaluable while planning a trip, and essential when on the road. Don't leave home without them.

Lifey

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    The Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park is only a few miles over the border. Further down you have the Redwoods NP, and quite a bit further you have the Humboldt Redwoods State Park with the Avenue of Giants. The latter being the best, in my opinion, but others may disagree.

It strikes me that you are planning this trip with electronics, and not with good old paper maps. A good map will show you exactly where they are and which route to take. Maps are invaluable while planning a trip, and essential when on the road. Don't leave home without them.

Lifey
    Thanks. We do plan to get maps. We are planning to meet with AAA and having them give us maps to all the places we want to go to. We just found out that we don't have to have our cars insured with them to join their auto club and get this service. It just helps with advice and suggestions from people who have been there. I love good old paper maps. GPS is good, too.

GPS is great for finding an address. You just have to use your head and not believe everything it tells you. (For instance, a colleague told us NOT to use a GPS to find her home. If you did, it would take you down a private road that has a locked gate across it, and it's not much more than a cowpath.)

AAA is great assurance and peace-of-mind on a trip, particularly if you don't have tow coverage on your own car either through its warranty or your insurance company. It is also great for maps and other information. I have no idea about the insurance that they sell for your auto, though, as we've been with a certain company for over 35 years.

My husband and I have done the coastal redwoods area of California, and when I was a child, we went to see the redwoods of Oregon. Take the time to go to the California ones, if you possibly can. We loved camping in Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, and touring through Redwoods National Park. Once you've done that, you may be interested in comparing these trees to the giant ones in Sequoia National Park some day.

Donna

I live in Seattle. I would agree with those suggested reversing the route. Leavenworth is a really cool town. There is great floating in that part of the world too. If you have a day to spare, the Wenatchee River runs through there. Its crystal clear (but COLD) and you can rent a tube and float down it. Fun way to spend a day.

Unless you are planning on going all the way out to La Push to the NW, the Washington coast isn't all that great. I would recommend going down 5 and then cutting west to Astoria and doing the Oregon coast- much more scenic. If you have the time, you might consider taking the coast down to Crescent City, Ca and then cutting back on 199 NE to Grants Pass Oregon. 199 goes through the heart of the California Redwoods. You can take 5 back north to Portland and then go east on 84 which is one of the most scenic roads in America.