1. Default Cross country interstate Advice needed desperately:) please

This is a great website full of smart & helpful people - thank you ! I'm driving from CT to CA (destination Long Beach). Leaving tomorrow so everything is all set but Was wondering if someone might have an opinion for the best route to I70 from CT ? I heard I80 is all jacked up through PA so was thinking maybe the 278 to 78 etc to the 70 ? Any advice is grealy appreciated :) my route has been planned for a few weeks but I overheard someone at the grocery store today talking about their nightmare ordeal along I80. Thank you in advance :)

Cynthia

Welcome to RTA!

I've asked a moderator to move your post to its own thread, that's how we work here, everyone gets personalized attention this way.

You are going to find construction everywhere you go in the summer, it's just the way it is. However, this is going to be your best alternate to I-80:

You don't say exactly where in CT, but I'd use your local knowledge to get to the Merritt Parkway. Take that to I-287 and cross the Tappan Zee Bridge. At Suffern, continue on 287 to I-78 into PA, then take I-81 to Hagerstown MD. Take I-70 to Hancock, then I-68 to Morgantown WV, then I-79 back to I-70.

Ordinarily I'd recommend I-84 through CT, but the bridge over the Hudson in NY is under construction and has major delays.

3. Default

Thank you so much !!!!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-13-2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: removed quote of entire previous post

take I-81 to Hagerstown MD. Take I-70 to Hancock, then I-68 to Morgantown WV, then I-79 back to I-70.
    This is a prettier, and less expensive, alternative to the Pennsylvania Turnpike. I highly recommend this route.

Donna

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    This is a prettier, and less expensive, alternative to the Pennsylvania Turnpike. I highly recommend this route.

Donna

Thank you both very much, it was a nice & pretty route !