Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Southern Florida to San Francisco Road Trip help

long story short was offered a job and took it. I am debating driving vs shipping/flying. Does this plan sound feasible? I have broken the trip down like this:
    Day 1: Southern Oralndo to Pensicola 600 miles 7 hours Day 2: Pensicola to San Antonio 700 miles 10 hours Day 3: San Antionio to El Paso 550 miles 7 hours Day 4: El Paso to Phoenix 450 miles 6 hours Day 5: Phoenix to San Francisco 750 miles 10 hours
    I know the hours are based on google maps with out pit stops. How long should I add in each day for those? I don't plan to stop much, stay on major highways and drive quickly ish. Can anyone who has done a cross country trip chime in

Welcome to RTA!

The Google times are very unrealistic, add 20% to reflect reality. Also, do not try to drive more than 600 miles in 1 day.

You say "southern Orlando" but it's 450 miles, not 600, from Orlando to Pcola, exactly where will you be leaving from?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You need to know that the travel time estimates you're using aren't even close to accurate, and you're going to need to rework several of your legs.

Your first day you're saying 600 miles/7 hours, which would be absurd, because that would be an average of 85 mph! Thankfully your problem is that that Orlando to Pensacola is only 450 miles, and 7-8 hours for that leg is certainly workable.

But some of your other legs actually are not even close to possible. Pensacola to San Antonio you're listing at 700 miles/10 hours and Phoenix to San Francisco as 750/10 hours. That would mean you would be averaging 70 or 75 mph over the course of the entire day, and that's impossible, unless you spend most of your day traveling near 100 mph, once you factor in just things like traffic, and slowing down to get into cities, not to mention even minimum stops for fuel, food, and other rest breaks.

Real world, you're going to average, at best, 60 mph over the course of the day - assuming you're traveling at or slightly above the speed limit. That means in 10 hours, you'll cover about 600 miles. That's also about the most you should plan to travel in a day - and is the most professional drivers (truckers) are allowed to cover in a day.

That means you can still do this trip in 5 days, but you have to make some adjustments. The places you'd need to plan to stop would be Biloxi, MS; San Antonio, TX; Las Cruces, NM; and Blythe, CA. Pretty much all of those are right at the 600 mile mark, and and all of them will have plenty of motels to pick from. To make this trip in 5 days, those pretty much have to be your stopping points.

4. Default

I'm leaving from Palm Bay. Is there an app or tool out there to help calculate this?

I was hoping to spend a night in Phoenix and see some friends.

I'm not sure what you're looking to calculate?

If you want to spend the night in Phoenix, then you need another night. Phoenix to San Francisco to just too far to drive safely in one day, especially at the end of a cross country trip.

Palm Bay to SF via Phoenix is 5.5 days. Your first 3 overnights need to be Mobile AL, somewhere between Houston and San Antonio TX, and Van Horn TX. You will be arriving in Phoenix on the evening of the 4th day. You can either get an early start out of Phoenix and arrive in SF midday on the 6th day, or spend the morning in Phoenix and arrive in SF on the evening of the 6th day. Where you spend the 5th night depends on what time you leave Phoenix.

There are 2 apps that I recommend - Gas Buddy and hotels.com. I'd also swing by Walmart and buy a Rand McNally road atlas, there is no electronic substitute for a good set of paper maps so you can see the big picture.

Now - if you can spare more than 6 days, we can talk about some sightseeing to break up the monotony of the trip.

Phoenix to San Francisco isn't a one-day drive, as my cousin and her SO discovered one time. They were going to attempt to do it in one day, but found themselves overnight near Buttonwillow, CA -- which is a place along I-5 that is teeming with motels and restaurants in all budgets.

FWIW, that's where we stayed one time when making our way from Phoenix up to Seattle. First night was Buttonwillow, second night was Red Bluff, CA ... a little further in mileage than SF.

Donna

8. Default

If I can afford an extra 1-3 days what are some of the best sights to see along the way?

If you read the RTA forums a lot, you'll see that we don't do "best" around here. That's because one man's "must see" is another one's "no thanks, must pass".

Do you have good paper maps for the trip, or at least a road atlas such as Rand McNally's of the USA? You'll find this invaluable, and will keep you out of trouble. If you open it up, you'll see where a lot of the national parks are along your route. Two popular ones, for instance, are Carlsbad Caverns in southern NM, and Grand Canyon in northern AZ. Both are about 1 or 1-1/2 hours from the freeway, one way. You'd have to add an extra day for either one.

Donna

It's a lot more than an hour or two from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon, but you can still do it. Just head north on I-17 and go through Sedona on the way. From the GC, you can take I-40 to CA-58 to Bakersfield to get to SF.