Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NYC to LA

Default NYC to LA

I'm relocating from NYC to LA in about a week.

I'd like this to be a fun/scenic drive, since I have a week to get there.

What are your suggestions?

Default Route choices

Welcome to RTA, and to California! BYOW, we're still in a drought. :-)

It takes 5-6 days of steady driving to go from coast to coast via the fastest route, so 7 days will give you some time to stop and see something if you like. It's 2700 miles, taking I-76 to I-70 to I-44 to I-40. Using that route, stopping for a day at the Grand Canyon is possible, and you almost can't get any more scenic than that.

Another thought is to take I-76 to I-70 and stay on that all the way across country, till it runs into I-15. The most scenic interstate in the US is between Denver and Salina, UT, and there's Las Vegas for fun. It adds about 30 more miles to go that route.

Oh, one thing I just thought of -- are you driving your own vehicle? Or are you in a U-Haul with your vehicle attached on a trailer? That makes a difference. If you're towing, I wouldn't go the I-70 to I-15 route. At least, that's my own personal preference.

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaR57; 06-12-2015 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Added info

I would consider taking I70 as far as Moab UT exit and then head down 191 and through Monument valley on 163. You haven't got a lot of time spare but you would have the chance to drive through the south rim of the GC and stop at a few viewpoints, even if you didn't, it's a great drive.

I see by your profile you are from Newark DE - are you leaving from there or NYC? It makes a difference how I'd recommend you get to I-70. What you are using for a vehicle makes a difference too, as does your attitude toward tolls and do you have an EZ-Pass?

I'm actually heading out from Newark, DE. Didn't want to confuse anyone. More folks know about Newark, NJ. :)

2014 Honda CR-V with a Yakima bike rack in the back (hitch) and possibly a Thule roof box (not sure yet if I'll leave that behind). I have EZ-Pass, does it matter that I bought it in Newark, DE? I'll load it up for sure.

You won't even have to use the EZ-Pass if you are leaving from DE. Take DE-2 to I-95 to Baltimore and take the I-695 bypass around the north side to I-70. There are no tolls along that routing. Take that to Hancock, then I-68 to I-79 back to I-70. Your only toll will be $2.75 cash in KS, they don't take EZ-Pass.

It's going to take you 4 days to get to Moab. Suggested overnights are near Dayton, KC, and Denver. If you feel you can safely go farther, plan ahead as there are areas away from the cities with limited selection. The hotels.com smartphone app can be very useful.

For the best scenery into Moab, get off I-70 onto UT-128 (exit 214), that will cut across and put you on US-191.

Default Good advice.

If you were to follow glc's suggestion to Moab, and then Dave's suggestion from there, you will be in for an incredibly scenic drive, and see some amazing sights.

Enjoy.

Lifey

For another scenic detour that won't cost a bunch of time, check out Loveland Pass CO. It's a great drive across the Continental divide at almost 12000ft and located just off I70 west of Denver on US6.

Wow you guys are awesome, I'm going to try to put together a map and will share the link.

Taking off in exactly 7 days, so I have to take advantage of all the generous knowledge/experience you guys are sharing!