1. Default Roadtrip from laramie wy to portland

Hi we are planning a one week road trip from laramie wy to portland or. We have two little girls 4 and 1.5 years. Any suggestions on where to stop and attractions on the way would be helpful. What i have in mind is we will take a break near the bearlake area in utah on our way. any other suggestions? Any members who traveled with little kids -- did you take one, two or no breaks for a 16+ hour trip?

Thanks

Welcome to the RTA forum!

The first thing you need to be aware of is that no matter what an online mapping program might tell you, it is impossible to cover 1,100 miles in 16 hours, and it's impossible to do the trip safely without an overnight stop for sleep. In the real world, this will be 2 long days on the road - about 10 hours each day, before you start making the stops you need to make this an enjoyable trip for the kids.

Twin Falls, ID is right at the halfway point of the trip, and is the area you should be looking at to spend the night.

Beyond that, you should still be stopping every few hours, just to let the kids get out, move, and burn off energy. They don't have to be stops at famous landmarks, even pulling into a city park for 20 minutes makes a world of difference.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA forum!

The first thing you need to be aware of is that no matter what an online mapping program might tell you, it is impossible to cover 1,100 miles in 16 hours, and it's impossible to do the trip safely without an overnight stop for sleep. In the real world, this will be 2 long days on the road - about 10 hours each day, before you start making the stops you need to make this an enjoyable trip for the kids.

Twin Falls, ID is right at the halfway point of the trip, and is the area you should be looking at to spend the night.

Beyond that, you should still be stopping every few hours, just to let the kids get out, move, and burn off energy. They don't have to be stops at famous landmarks, even pulling into a city park for 20 minutes makes a world of difference.
    Thanks Midwest Michael. We will definitely take one or two nights (bearlake and boise; or twinfalls). Do you know if there are there any isolated stretches / places to be watchout after we cross ogden? I know that the drive from laramie to rocksprings is pretty dry...no stops and not even that many gas stations to speak off.

Whenever there is going to be a place with 50 miles or more without fuel, there will be a sign on the freeway that will warn you about it. My husband and I have an unwritten rule for ourselves, that we fuel up when we get down 1/2 tank, unless there's a really good price that we see just beyond that 1/2 tank.

As far as traveling with kids goes -- yes, this is a 2-day trip. Even if you just stop at a rest area and let the little ones run about (supervised, of course), it will help them a lot. Imagine being strapped into a confined space called a car-seat for hours on end. A piece of grass next to the gas station looks great after that!

Donna

Default Stops I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by sr_wy View Post
    I know that the drive from laramie to rocksprings is pretty dry...no stops ...
    According to my maps, and memory there are three rest areas on this stretch alone, and of course Rawlins is bound to have a town park.

I agree with Michael, stopping every two hours or so to give the little ones a break out of the car is virtually essential. We always did when travelling with our children.

There is a lovely scenic detour which I feel sure you must know, over Saratoga - 130 to Saratoga and back to Wallcot on I-80.

If you are into ghost towns, Superior is just a few miles off I-80 at exit 122.

Lifey

If this is a round trip you should look at a different route each way, or at least in parts. Side trips to Craters of the Moon one way and Shoshone the other are a couple of possibilities and you should allow time to enjoy the views and waterfalls along the Coloumbia river Gorge into Portland.

7. Default

Thanks for the comments. Yes we did the trip to Saratoga several times so we will skip that this time. Superior sounds like an interesting place to drive through. A few pictures may be.

8. Default

Thanks. I like that rule of yours. Given that we drive a gas guzzler, i think it is an essential thing to do. We will of course stop several times. This is our first road trip so we are being very apprehensive about what to expect.

9. Default

I agree. Thanks for the tip regarding Craters of the Moon. i knew about shoshone but not this. In an ideal setting we would like to return via spokane into jackson to laramie. But we don't know.