Hi all, I'm a newbie from Hong Kong :)
I'm planning a road trip from Newark to Boston in July, and would appreciate your insights and comments.
Something you should know beforehand:
- Dates: 7/24 (FRI) to 7/30 (THU) - I'm arriving in Newark on 7/23 evening and departing from Boston on 7/31 early morning
- I have to go to a basketball game at Mohegan Sun, CT on 7/25 (SAT)
- I've been to NYC before, but not anywhere else
- I'm travelling with my dad, so I don't want to plan a physically demanding trip (in terms of activities)
At first I just used Google Maps to plan my routes, and it (for obvious reasons) told me to take I-95 all the way to Boston. Since then I've been reading about I-95, and it seems like traffic is usually bad, and it's not a scenic drive.
So here's my first take. Please let me know if there is a better route! I'm open to any suggestions :)
- 7/23 THU - arrive at EWR, pick up rental car (Hotel: Newark)
- 7/24 FRI - whole day in NYC (Hotel: Newark/NYC) Is it feasible to find an affordable NYC hotel with parking, or should I go back to Newark?
- 7/25 SAT - Newark - Mohegan Sun - Mystic: Hutchinson River Pkwy>15>66>2>12>US-1 (Hotel: Mystic)
- 7/26 SUN - Mystic - Newport: US-1>138 (Hotel: Newport) Is Mystic, Newport & vicinity worth a whole day?
- 7/27 MON - Newport - Boston: 138>79>24>I-93 (Hotel: Boston)
- 7/28 TUE - whole day in Boston (Hotel: Boston) What other towns around Boston do you recommend we visit?
- 7/29 WED - Boston - Provincetown: 3A>US-6 (Hotel: Hyannis/Provincetown)
- 7/30 THU - Provincetown - Boston: US-6>I-495>I-93 (Hotel: Boston)
- 7/31 FRI - return rental car, depart from BOS
Thank you for helping!