1. Default Driving from San Diego to Grand Canyon in July - too hot to drive!!

I am new to this site, great resource for travelers! I am traveling from San Diego to Grand Canyon via Palm Springs in the middle of July. My planned Itinerary is San Diego - Palm Springs (Stay over night). Next morning Palm Springs - Desert Center - via 177 & 62 to Vidal Junction - via 95 to Needles. Take old Rte 66 from Needles all the way to Seligman, then I-40, 64 & 180 to Grand Canyon.

Couple of questions

Is it too hot in mid July to drive throughout the day, stop to enjoy beautiful scenery and historic attractions?Any special consideration like travel only early in the morning or late evening? Any additional travel tip to drive through the hot desert area during peak summer is helpful.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

As long as you have a modern car in good operating condition, it's basically impossible for it to be too hot to drive. Really, the only thing to remember is to make sure you are carrying plenty of water in case you do have a car problem (which could happen in any temperature).

Now, too hot to be outside of your air conditioned car might be another story. That's more a matter of personal preference. Certainly, temperatures beyond 100F should be expected in places like Palm Springs in July, but people do live there all year long too, and they all go about their day to day lives in the heat.

I will note that while San Diego to Palm Spring can be driving in a little over 2 hours, Palm Spring to the Grand Canyon will be an all day drive, especially via Historic 66. You might look at going a bit farther on day one, just to make your days on the road more even.

Melbourne, Australia

Default The desert in summer.

The desert in the heat of summer has a beauty all its own. It would be a pity to miss seeing it. As well as carrying ample drinking water, be sure to carry hats for when you get out of the car - even if it is ever so briefly to take a photo - and sunscreen lotion - SPF 30 or above.

If you go well prepared you won't have anything to worry about.

Old route 66 between Topock and Kingman is a fantastic drive. You'll love it. Imagine what it would have been like in the cars of the 40s and 50s Make sure you have some time to spend in Oatman.