1. Default Cape Cod - SLC - San Francisco - this July

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are travelling to Cape Cod this July for a wedding. We're then flying out to the West Coast afterwards for a road-trip (we have already booked the flights back from San Francisco). We've put together the following itinerary and were hoping for some comments/suggestions on it - in particular, do you think there's too much driving here / would you recommend spending more/less time at any of these places, or perhaps just cut some out altogether? Additionally, for the drive from Vegas - Mammoth Lakes we're planning to pass through Death Valley but I'm aware the temperatures will be really high in July and so we won't really be able to get out of the car. Is it still worth doing this or is there another route we should take instead?

We really appreciate any advice you can give!

3rd July London - Boston - Cape Cod
    4th July Cape Cod
    5th July Cape Cod - Boston
    6th July Flight Boston - Salt Lake City
    7th July Day in Salt Lake City (drive to Salt PLains)
    8th July Drive SLC - Zion National Park (4h30)
    9th July Drive Zion - Vegas (2h 30)
    10th July Day in Vegas - Grand Canyon trip
    11th July Drive Vegas - Mammoth Lakes (5h 11)
    12th July Drive Mammoth Lakes - Yosemite NP (2h 25)
    13th July Day in Yosemite
    14th July Drive Yosemite - San Francisco (3h 46)
    15th July Day in SF
    16th July Day in SF - potential excursion to Napa valley
    17th July Day in SF
    18th July Flight home

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

It looks like you've gotten your driving times from an online mapping program like Google Maps. Add about 20% to the times, so that you allow for stops (bathroom, fuel, food). None of the drives are going to be obnoxiously long except one: 10th July Day in Las Vegas - Grand Canyon trip.

If you are planning to go to the Canyon from Las Vegas, by car, be aware that the SOUTH Rim, which is the actual national park and the most beautiful, is 4-5 hours ONE WAY by car. If you are taking a tour, or a flight tour, ask your tour operator. But it's most likely to be to the Native-American owned West Rim, which is not nearly as gorgeous as the South Rim and they will charge you a pretty penny if you want to do the Skywalk (with no cameras allowed).

South of England.

Default Grand canyon 'proper'.

Your other option would be to visit the North rim of the Grand canyon before Vegas, which is also part of the National park. To see this natural wonder of the world, I would certainly recommend you get there by yourselves and spend a night and get to witness a sunset and would rather that than do a tour to the west rim, perhaps sacraficing a day in SF, even if it means missing out on a trip to Napa Valley.

I would also recommend visiting Alcatraz while in SF, you can book in advance using the NPS website which is the only official place to get tickets without tour operator charges.

Another thought is to consider flying into Vegas and spend your day there, then hit the road. You might be able to squeeze Monument valley and/or Bryce canyon into your itinerary as well.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Seconding.

Let me reinforce Dave's message about the Grand Canyon. Tours from LV mostly, if not all, go to the West Rim, which is not part of the Grand Canyon NP. It is no where near as spectacular or colourful as the NP. I would suggest that detouring to the North Rim and experiencing a sunset over the canyon is an experience you will not forget. There is accommodation nearby at Jacob Creek or Fredonia.

Bonus is, the drive into the North Rim is a very scenic drive.