Default South Carolina to Redwood Forest California Road Trip!

Planning a road trip with 7 people with only 2 who cannot drive, age ranging from 15 to 38. Looking for fun stops along the way and Grand Canyon will be one of the stops headed to the Redwood forest. Also, want to take a different route back and drive up to Montanna and make our way back to South Carolina.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You're talking about a trip that covers the entire country, so narrowing down what you might consider to be "fun stops" is pretty tough - as the possibilities are in the millions.

Let's start by finding out how much time you have for this trip, what you will be using for a vehicle(s), and the kinds of things you would consider fun (What do you want to see during your time in Montana?).

I will start with the warning that even though you may have 5 drivers, any trip with this many people is going to take more time than a typical trip. You will have to stop more often, and every stop will take more time. You'll also have to balance 7 different opinions when trying to figure out where to stop, and how long you'll stay there.

Thanks Midwest Michael,

We will have 2 weeks for the trip and we will be traveling in a passanger van. Also, the reason for the stop in Montana is for my husband who has to make trips there for work related reasons and we figured it could be incorporated in the trip and allow the rest of our traveling crew to see more of the USA than they have ever seen. I agree with what you say about the many opinions with the larger group and thats one reason I am trying to explore the options and hopefully cut back on any wasted time on disagreements! lol I say that loosely of course. We will be camping in tents along the way (if weather permits) as well as hotels and it looks like we are aiming at taking I-40 West. So, If you know any great camping spots along the way! Our main goal is the Redwood Forest but I would love to see the Grand Canyon too. We are outdoors people and we like to hike, ride bikes, and see anything historical such as natural beauties of the midwest or anything like caves or taverns. My husband and son are car finatics too! So any old towns with classic cars. lol This could need to be an entire summer trip. Anyhow, thanks for any and all help you can offer.

2 weeks really isn't enough time for the trip you are planning - you really need almost twice that much time to have the kind of trip it sounds like you want to have.

As it is, You will essentially only have time to drive there, and turn around and head back.

With the size of your group, and your desire to camp, even covering 500 miles a day will be a challenge. At 3000 miles from Columbia (guessing there), that means you need a minimum of 6 days just to make it to the Redwoods, and returning via Montana would mean at least 1 more day on the road.

That's 13 days out of your two weeks. That only gives you 1 day to actually spend at Redwood NP, and doesn't give any time for the Grand Canyon or any other stops or detours!

I just don't see a way to make this trip possible and enjoyable, without adding significantly more time. If you can't add more time, then really the only way to see California is to do a fly and drive trip. If that's not in the cards, then you're going to have to start looking for destination closer to home.

Well, We could work on adding more days to the trip but im not sure it would be 2 weeks, possibly one more week could be worked out. But you never know, we might squeeze more time in than I think! I definitely dont want to just drive through though. I will be working on a longer vacation time! Thanks again for your advice!!

3 weeks is pretty much the minimum time you needed to go coast to coast and back, and have time to see anything. Even that would be a pretty quick trip, and if you can get a 3rd week, I still wouldn't look to come back through Montana. That's still a pretty large detour. Instead, I'd look at using I-80/I-70, which is a much more direct route, and could still takes you near some pretty amazing sites in Utah and Colorado.