1. Default Michigan to Yellowstone: Thoughts on Wisconsin/Minnesota

Hi

Planning a trip from Grand Rapids Michigan to Yellowstone. Roughing things in right now. I want to spend about 4 days around Yellowstone. Then drive back

I have about 14 days. I'm currently planning on 5 days of driving to Yellowstone.

Day 1: Grand Rapids Michigan to Manistique Michigan
    Day 2: Manistique MI to LaCrosse Wis/Mississippi River
    Day 3: Mississippi River to Sioux Falls, SD
    Day 4: Sioux Falls, SD to Buffalo Gap Grasslands National Park
    Day 5: Grasslands to Yellowstone

Question: Should I just plow through Wisconsin/Minnesota to have more time in South Dakota. It seems like the cool stuff beings in South Dakota.
    Question: What are some premier attractions (parks/sight seeing) in the Wisconsin/Minnesota area? I could keep to the current pace. Which I like. But not sure how to spend my time.

Thanks!

Default Your Maps

Did you get the maps when you were planning your last trip?

There are places of interest (to me) and hopefully also to you in both WI and MN, if you look at the maps. Especially some of the short historical scenic routes which run parallel to the interstates. Not only do they add interest to the trip, they are a welcome respite off the interstates.

Lifey

Default "Cool Stuff"

Like beauty, cool is in the eye of the beholder. I would agree with you that there are some very interesting sites in southwestern South Dakota and nearby Wyoming, but that does not mean that Wisconsin and Minnesota are devoid of interest. Circus World Museum in Bariboo WI is a unique location and there are quite a few national wildlife refuges along your route including Trempealeau, Lake Andes, Karl Mundt, and Lacreek. For a bit 'weird' there's the Corn Palace in Mitchell SD. As an alternate route, either west- or east-bound, consider dropping a bit south by using I-80 from Illinois through Nebraska and then basically US-287/U-26/US-191 in Wyoming to visit Grand Tetons National Park and follow the route of the old Oregon Trail along the Platte River in Nebraska.

AZBuck

4. Default

Hi

Actually the last trip to upstate New York morphed into this trip to Yellowstone area. This forum was helpful so I guess I became more confident in planning.

Thanks for the tip on Us-287/26/191!

Default Good to see.

This forum was helpful so I guess I became more confident in planning.
    I feel confident that regular members of this forum will be pleased to read this. Sure hope it turns out to be a wonderful trip, and that you get to see all you want to.

Lifey