1. Default Best route from Michigan to Maine, up through Canada less tolls/construction?

We are driving from Michigan to Maine and it looks like up through Canada and across through Vermont is a whole lot less construction and toll/partial toll roads. Maybe a bit shorter, but longer on time. Thinking with so many tolls and construction through Canada and then New York via I-90 E to Maine would be longer in the end, but can't find any info showing if it's just a boring drive through Canada to Vermont, then on to Maine. Anyone driven both routes?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

"Michigan" and "Maine" are huge targets, so without having a better idea of exactly where you are going, it's going to be impossible to really give you much help on a route or even know what you are talking about in terms of "both routes."

I will warn that construction changes so frequently, that it is very difficult to get a grasp on which will be worse when you are traveling. States have different policies for posting their construction info online - so places listed with lots of construction projects might have a lot of little work, with no delays, while others might not even list big issues that do cause delays. The reality is, in summer, you're going to see construction in this part of the world, no matter which way you go.

3. Default

Hi Rhonda, what part of Michigan are you leaving from and what part of Maine are you traveling to?

The downside of going through Canada is considerably higher gas prices, plus you will need passports.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda George View Post
    ... but can't find any info showing if it's just a boring drive through Canada to Vermont, then on to Maine.
    One of the best ways to make a trip interesting is to learn something about the areas through which you're driving..... and doing most of that off the interstates. Having driven much of both the routes you mention, I found a great deal of interest along the way. However, I was not purely focused on the destination. My focus was on where ever I happened to be.

You may find this article useful.

Lifey

6. Default

We are in Flint, MI and going to Saco, ME

7. Default

We really don't have the time to do much on the way, just looking for the best route to drive. We already have reservations for 7 nights in Saco, ME.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    The downside of going through Canada is considerably higher gas prices, plus you will need passports.
    We are going to get Enhanced Licenses through Michigan. My renewal was due this month anyways. It's much cheaper than a passport, which I will probably never need. I wasn't sure if the gas prices were still a factor with the $.80 US being around $1.00 in Canada. Not sure how it all works out with the whole -10% then multiplying times 4, when the US dollar is worth more.

For fastest route - shooting across Southern Ontario and picking up I-90 is going to be the clear winner. Any other route through Canada is going to add at least 50 miles (depending upon where you cut back into the US) and will push you onto some 2 lane roads. You'd also have Toronto, and possibly Montreal, traffic to deal with.

Gas prices are always much higher in Canada. Even 15 years ago, when the exchange rate was up over $1.50, it couldn't make up for the difference. Specifically, right now, on the cheap side of things, Gas Prices around Toronto are about C$1.10/L. That works out to US$3.34/Gallon. (multiply by .8 for the current exchange rate, and again by 3.8 to convert from L to Gal).

Between the higher gas prices and longer distance, it would still be cheaper to pay the tolls on I-90. However, if this is a round trip, you might look at going through Canada one direction anyway, just to change things up.

For fastest route - shooting across Southern Ontario and picking up I-90 is going to be the clear winner.
    This will take you a day and a half. I-69/C-402/C-401/C-403/QEW/C-405/I-190/I-290/I-90/I-495/I-95. Overnight in the Albany area if you get out of Flint early in the AM.