1. Default Road trip from St Louis, mo to Grand Canyon, AZ

Traveling solo St Louis to Grand Canyon. What is the best route Hwy 40 or Hwy 44. Which route has the best diners and sight seeing spots?

Default First a few questions.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Best is such a subjective term. What is best for one person may want to be avoided by another.

What exactly are you looking for and wanting to get out of this trip? How long do you have for the trip? Have you checked up the attractions and diners on the map wizard above?

I have to say I have always found 40 through NM a very scenic and pleasant road to drive.

Lifey

Default Third option.

As above, you need to tell us more. Is this a round trip or one way ? If it's a round trip I would be looking at a different route each way and if it's a one way trip, I would be looking at taking I70 Moab and then cutting down through Monument valley to GC. Yes a little longer, but hard to beat for scenery and if you have time enought to stop and visit other attractions then even better ! Whichever way, you will need at least 2 overnight stops.

Quote Originally Posted by amystan View Post
    Traveling solo St Louis to Grand Canyon. What is the best route Hwy 40 or Hwy 44. Which route has the best diners and sight seeing spots?
    I'm confused about the "or" in your questions. You'd need to use both.

From St. Louis, I-44 is the logical/fastest route to get to I-40, and after Oklahoma City, I-44 continues south to Texas, and doesn't take you towards the Grand Canyon anymore.

Of course, I-44 to I-40 are the highways that replaced Route 66, so if you're looking for diners and that kind of sight seeing, you may find that route enjoyable - you'll just have to get off the interstates, drive into the towns, and find some sections of the old road from time to time.

5. Default

First time RTA user, sorry on the lack of info. I am coming back from Missouri after spending time with family. This would be a one way trip home. I have about week to a week and a half to get home. I'm just a little nervous about driving somewhere I've never driven before. Scenic drive that included sightseeing and neat little towns to stop in would be ideal, throw in a diner or two and what a trip :). Thanks for all the help your throwing my way. Hopefully this trip will be the beginning of many more to come!

Having a more than a week means you've got a very nice amount of time for this trip, and you'll have plenty of time to explore.

With that time, I'd probably lean towards using the option of going through Colorado and Utah that others have suggested. Spend a little time looking at maps, and doing a little research on what places along the way look interesting to you. There are tons of other National Parks that could be along the way - as well as some unique towns and cities as well - it just depends upon what you find interesting.

You really have nothing to be nervous about, just a great adventure to look forward to. As Michael said, get an idea of what interests you by way of research and checking maps and when you have an outline of which route you will take we can help put it together and make suggestions .
    Enjoy the planning, its a fun part of the adventure !