Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default from Boston Massachusetts to Harrisburg Pennsylvania road trip.

We are new to America and have not to travel very far yet. This is first road trips for us. We have friend who live near Harrisburg Pennsylvania to visit and want to know what to see along the way. ok. We like to learn more about America and want to see many things we can along the way. We want to travel via 95 through Connecticut and across 78 in Pennsylvania. And when we return to Boston Massachusetts, we will travel 81 in Pennsylvania to 84 to across new york and connecticut. ok. Is this good way for us to go.? Thanks to you very much.

Default The Interstates are Not Teaching Tools

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The routes you have named (I-95, I-78, and I-81) are all Interstates (Motorways, Autobahns, Autostrade, etc.). Those highways are great for getting from one place to another, but they will not teach you anything about America other than how we drive on big highways. If you really want to see things and learn about us, then you should use your drive as an opportunity to travel at a slower ace, visit lots of places off the main roads, and talk to people who can make time for you rather than just meeting those who are trying to deal with thousands of travelers a day. So, a good mix of Interstate (for speed) and 'back' roads would be in order.

I would suggest the following. Take I-90 (The Mass Pike) out of Boston and follow it as far as Sturbridge. From there take I-84 down into Connecticut and through Hartford. If you would like a bit of American literary history you can stop in West Hartford where Mark Twain and Harriet Beecher Stowe were next door neighbors and their houses are open to the public. In any event, leave the Hartford area on US-44 west. This will be the start of your 'real' driving. Continue westward and US-202 will join US-44. Stay with US-202 when the two split and follow that to Torrington CT where you will pick up CT-4 west through Goshen and Sharon. At Sharon, this will become CT-343 and continue into New York where it becomes NY-343. Just after Armenia NY it becomes US-44 again(!!!) Take US-44 through Poughkeepsie and across the Hudson and then take US-9W south along that river to rejoin I-84 west again, this time to Milford PA where you'll exit to take US-209 south through the Delaware Water Gap and northeastern Pennsylvania until you will finally get on I-81 to complete your journey to the Harrisburg area.

Such a drive will let you see a good bit more of 'America' than I-95 down along the industrialized coast and through New York City and Philadelphia. It can still be made in a day, but if you can take longer let us know and also let us know what in particular you'd like to see and perhaps we can help you out further.

AZBuck

Hello to you today. Thanks to you for such wonderful advice. We would like to go to 95 in Connecticut to see some sights. We will like to do the trip you suggest on our next trip in july. We will like to do that and stay over night maybe in new york or into pennsylvania border. There is place called tri state rock for new york, new jersey and pennsylvania border a friend has told us about for we would like to see. Also a monument for new jersey highest point maybe.?
    Also on 78 in pennsylvania would like to see place called Roadside America in shartlessville pennsylvania. Also need to see state sanitorium hamburg pennsylvania. Maybe we visit friend that owns motel in foglesville pennsyvania. ok. Thank you for response. We will like to see any other historical places along the way. We like to look at motel along way to view for maybe purchase later. you know. ok. Thanks for welcome to website. ok.

Default One little change I would make.

I do agree with the lovely drive laid out for you above.... with one exception.

Instead of taking I-81 into Harrisburg, continue along 209 to Millersburg on the Susquehanna River. Then 147 will take you along the river into Harrisburg.

It is a lovely drive.

Lifey

I looked at that using google and it looked liked a very pretty drive. I will like to do that in july when we do the trip again. It looks like to me that 209 will end in millersburg.? I have never been to pennsylvania before. have only been west to new york city. ok. I want to see about pennsylvania to make new home there. ok. you know.? Look for motel to buy. Pennsylvania motel.

Default Scenic Pennsylvania.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleen02124 View Post
    I looked at that using google ....
    Google is good for checking the detail, but you will have to get hold of some good maps before you go on the road. The best maps come from AAA (free if you are a member) or a road atlas such as Rand McNally. Both are widely available in Boston. I know there is a AAA just off I-95 in Needham.

PA is one of my favourite roadtripping States. Off the interstates, just about every route is a scenic route.

You might like to look at where US11 and PA92 intersect at Nicholson PA. There is a spectacular railway viaduct, which this year is celebrating it's 100th anniversary.

If you are planning another trip to PA, check out US6, which is a great drive and a destination in itself..... but far too far out of your way this time.

Further west off I-80 is the Elk Scenic Drive, another wonderful route worth taking your time.

Lifey

We would like to go to 95 in Connecticut to see some sights.
    You are picking the wrong road for sights. I-95 is a very congested Interstate highway that goes through primarily industrial areas.

yes, I have read for route 6 is nice ride, it is on my list, but will be later. I hear much about pennsylvania grand canyons. Yes. I learn now to read map. is not an easy to do. Hard to tell small highway, you know.? We have truck's driver that stay at our motel and he spend time to teach me to read. is very exciting for me.
    I want to go 95 for we want to stop at stratford for friend own local motel. He says 91 connection to 95 is new. Also want to see subway corporation in milford. you know.?
    'glc' I notice you are from joplin.? am I corrected that route 66 goes through your city.? That is highway I like to read about. ok. I am happy to find this webs site. Unlimited informations can be found here along with friendly people. Very nice place to come to.

Default Making It Work

Stamford is, unfortunately, maybe the worst place in Connecticut to try to get to for your RoadTrip purposes of learning about America and seeing sights. But if that is where your friend lives then there is no better reason to visit. What I would suggest, however, is that instead of using I-95 you use the route I suggested earlier: I-90 west into Massachusetts and I-84 down into Connecticut. To get to Stamford this way, just stay on I-84 until you are just past Danbury and then take Exit 4 onto US-7 south to Norwalk where you would get on I-95 for just the last portion of your drive. I-90, I-84, and US-7 are all good quality, scenic roads that are much better than taking I-95 all the way.

Then between Stamford and Harrisburg you again want to avoid I-95 as much as possible, and certainly don't want to drive on it through New York City if you can possibly avoid it. And you can avoid it easily enough. Just continue south on I-95 to Port Chester/Rye NY and take I-287 around New York City, across the Tappan Zee Bridge, and on to I-87 north to Harriman NY. There get on US-6/NY-17 west to rejoin I-84 west and the route through Pennsylvania (US-209) that Lifey and I recommended earlier. Note that this route will take you near the point where New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania have their common point - one of the spots you said you would like to visit.

If you take two days for this drive, you will have plenty of time to visit your friend in Stamford as well as to stop at places that catch your eye as your drive. There will be such places on this drive but none if you take I-95. What I would do is visit with your friends in the afternoon and evening, maybe have dinner with them, and then drive the next bit - around New York and across the Tappan Zee Bridge before finding a motel. That way you are past New York and out of its rush hour traffic when you head out the next morning,

AZBuck

Buck, I believe it's Stratford, not Stamford. To get there, I would take I-90 and I-84 to Hartford, but then take I-91 to Meriden and take the Wilbur Cross Parkway (CT-15) to Stratford.

From Stratford, I would take the Merritt Parkway (CT-15) to I-287 to the Tappan Zee Bridge.

In other words, completely stay off I-95.