Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Road trip from dallas.tx to grandcanyon followed by Vegas and sandieago beach city

Hello all,
    we are a bunch of 5 guys planning for a road trip from dallas,TX to grandcanyon, followed by visiting Vegas and sandieago, kindly help us plan the route to make the trip memorable, if possible kindly give us the information about the places to visit on the way

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

How much time do you have for this trip? Will you be returning to Dallas after San Diego? What kinds of places are you interested in seeing along the way?

Those questions will go a long way towards others being able to help you plan your trip.

Welcome to RTA!

Bear this in mind as you plan: It is a two-day drive, by the most direct routes, from Dallas to Grand Canyon's South Rim and involves driving about 525 miles (9-10 hours) each day. It is 4-5 hours to drive from the Grand Canyon South Rim to Las Vegas. From Las Vegas to San Diego is about 5-6 hours, depending on what day of the week and what time of the day you're driving.

Donna

Default Maps will answer those questions.

Have you looked at some good maps to see what there is along the way, and just how many choices you have for routes? Good maps have not only all the roads from interstates to the most scenic or little back roads and show every town and city by/through which you will be passing. As well as that, they show most of the attractions along the way, and in the surrounding areas - natural, historical, glitzy, etc.

So if you have not already done so, get hold of some good detailed maps such as produced by AAA (free if any of you are members) or get hold of a good road atlas such as Rand McNally. See what routes appeal to you and which attractions are of interest to the party.

Use your electronics to calculate the distances, but ignore the times quoted. They are nowhere near reality. For a day's travel count on covering about 55 mph. This allows for all stops - food, fuel, bathroom, etc as well as holdups like construction and congestion..

Lifey

5. Default

Thank you all for your inputs
    We are planning for a 10 day trip and yes we do want to return from sandieago to dallas. From the maps i could see-lets say i start from denton tx which is 40 min from dallas, then the shortest route would be denton-wichita falls-amarillo-albuquerque-flag staff-grand canyon, the other good route is denton- lubbock-albuquerque-flagg staff-grand canyon, stay there and visit the place for 2 nights and hit the road to vegas, stay in vegas there and visit the place for 1 night, hit the road to san dieago, stay there and visit the place for 2 nights. I dont have clear idea about the return trip, please give some idea on that, any other alternative and easy itinerary solutions are welcome
    Thanks
    Ved

Here's what I see:

Day 1 - Drive Denton to Santa Rosa, NM (495 mi)
    Day 2 - Drive Santa Rosa to Grand Canyon (517 mi)
    Day 3 - See Grand Canyon
    Day 4 - Drive Grand Canyon to Las Vegas via Hoover Dam (270 mi), seeing Hoover Dam on the way
    Day 5 - Las Vegas
    Day 6 - Drive Las Vegas to San Diego (5-6 hours depending on traffic)
    Day 7 - San Diego
    Day 8 - San Diego to Willcox, AZ (500 mi)
    Day 9 - Willcox to Odessa TX (500 mi)
    Day 10 - Odessa to Dallas (350 mi)

Lots of driving and not much seeing, but it can be done!

Donna

7. Default

Hii Donna, thanks for the input
    I have consolidated the plan for 11 days, here is the list
    start wednesday morning - reach santa rose by evening (July 1)
    stay in sant rose over the night
    start from santa rose on thursday morning and reach grand canyon on thursday night
    stay in grand canyon on thursday night
    friday - visit grand canyon, friday night - stay in grand canyon
    saturday - visit grand canyon, saturday evening - go to vegas
    saturday night - stay in vegas, sunday- vegas, monday - vegas, monday evening goto sandieago
    monday night stay in sandieago, tuesday-visit sandieago and LA, wednesday - visit sandieago and LA
    Return trip:
    thursday morning drive to willcox, thurday night- stay in willcox, friday morning drive to odessa
    friday night stay in odessa, saturday morning drive to dallas/denton, saturday evening reach dallas/denton (July 11)

This is the overall travel time and the places to visit, please give me more information about the places to visit at each location, i have rough idea as follows
    Grand canyon area- 2 nights - places like antelope canyon, havasupai falls, south rim
    Las Vegas - 2 nights- hoover dam (on the way) night life, sky diving, dont have much idea in here
    Sandieago and LA - 3 nights-please give me the list of places, like beaches etc to visit here

Thanks
    Ved

It would be a lot better to go from LV to LA and then on to SD rather than using SD as a base to visit LA. Havasupai falls are difficult and time consuming to get to and you can easily spend a day and a half at the south rim visiting the various viewpoints. I don't know about sky diving but for a memorable experience you could fly over the GC in a helicopter from GC airport in Tusayan while there. You could visit Monument valley as well and I would recommend you book GC lodgings if you want to stay in the park.

Most San Diegans would agree with SWDave -- go to LA first, then San Diego, then go back up to LV. I wasn't aware that LA was in your mix, I'm sorry if I missed something there!

SD to LA is about 120 miles one way, and not something even I do as a day-trip unless there's no way around it. I've gone up very early on a Saturday morning and come back on Saturday afternoon, but it's not something I particularly enjoy doing!

Donna

I suspect you might be underestimating how far apart things can be in the west.

As Dave and Donna have mentioned, LA and San Diego are really too far apart to use one as a base to explore the other.

Also around the Grand Canyon, Havasupai falls is a good 4 hour drive from the South Rim, and that's just to the point where you can drive. It's another 10 miles of hiking to get to it. (you also need to get permits in advance from the Indian Nation, as it is on Tribal Lands and not within the National Park.)

Antelope Canyon, on the other hand, is 3 hours away from the south rim - the opposite direction of the Havasupai Falls. This is another site on tribal lands, and guided tours are required.