1. Default Raleigh NC to San Bernardino, CA

Moving to Cali from NC for job in two weeks. My wife and I have a week to do it and was thinking of having a couple of stops along the way-- attractions, safe place to stay, great food of course:).
    My initial impression is to take I-40 most of the way but there's probably a better way that a traditional GPS does not provide.
    Thanks for any advice/ recommendations. Have a safe and fun summer!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I-40 really is the obvious choice, if you're looking to complete the trip in the shortest amount of time. At 2500 miles, it's a trip that requires 4-5 full days on the road, so you certainly have some flexibility to explore other options, but if you're hoping to stop and see stuff along the way, then a direct interstate route is going to have some advantages.

Are you in a car, or will you be moving your stuff too with a truck and/or trailer?

I-40 does have plenty of great attractions near it. The Grand Canyon would go down as the most popular, and that alone would take basically a day of your time. However, there are also several other National Parks nearby, like Hot Springs or Petrified Forest. The much of the route follows the path of Old Route 66, and there are also a lot of great cities, with great food, like Nashville, Memphis, and Albuquerque/Santa Fe, to name a few.

If you haven't checked out RTA's Map Wizard - linked at the top of the page - that's another great tool to help you find unique attractions you might find interesting.

In the interest of saving time you may want to bypass the Grand Canyon, it's within a 1 day drive of LA and you could leave that for a long weekend at a later date.

4. Default

Driving by car.. Not taking much except clothes and stuff.
    What's the best route to the grand canyons from 40?

Take US-89 north from Flagstaff, then AZ-64 west into the park.

The route GLC suggested is the best route, because it allows you to enter GC via East Rim Drive, where you'll have lots of viewpoints to stop at.

It should be noted, that this route is pretty obvious when you pull out a paper map. Don't be tempted to only rely on your GPS or other electronics while on the road - plus paper maps are invaluable when looking for additional ideas while planning a trip.

Other places along I-40:

Nashville -- country music capital of the world
    Memphis -- Elvis' Graceland
    Oklahoma City -- the OKC Memorial
    Amarillo -- Cadillac Ranch (bring a couple of cans of spray paint)
    Albuquerque -- Petroglyph National Monument, Rio Grande State Nature Center,
    National Museum of Nuclear Science & History
    Arizona -- Petrified Forest National Park
    Grand Canyon National Park

With a week to cross the country, about 5 to drive this route required, you won't be able to do all of these things. You'd have to pick and choose. Graceland would take a couple of hours at least, the OKC Memorial about that, Cadillac Ranch maybe 30 minutes to an hour, anything that I mentioned in Albuquerque is about a half day each, and Petrified Forest would be 2-3 hours.

Get paper maps. They're better for your safety.

Donna