Default San Francisco to Las Vegas via the Big Sur

Hi there!

I'm going to San Francisco next year with my fiancee and a couple friends. We'll drive to Las Vegas via the Big Sur as well. I think we can help each other about this trip exchanging experience and some tips. For now, I'm searching hostels and restaurants, and calculating how much this trip will cost.

Ps: Sorry about my English. I'm Brazilian.

Tank you!

Melbourne, Australia

Default Sharing experiences with other roadtrippers.

Hi pedrowal, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

A co-incidence that you are planning a similar trip, and I am sure you will pick up some pointers if Stephen writes a Trip Report.

Alternatively,you might like to check that Field Report Forum and read of the experiences of previous roadtrippers who have gone that way. It is a very popular route.

Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-22-2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Posts were split, so providing link to the original thread

Hi Lifemagician.

Thank you about your assistance! That's my first time in USA and I hope that trip will be amazing.

I'm planning go to San Francisco and then Monterrey, Santa Barbara, Camarillo, Malibu, Santa Monica, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and go back home.

Do you think the Highway One is the better and beautiful way to do that trip?

South of England.

Default How long do you have ?

How much time do you have available for your trip ? Highway 1 is a beautiful drive with lots to see, but there are amazing National parks inland as well, Sequoia, Yosemite and Death valley and quite often people include Grand canyon National park on such a trip. You could also consider a 'loop' trip that starts and ends in San Fran and enjoy some of the coast and some of the National parks without back tracking.

Hi Southwest Dave!

I have only 15 days. Do you think this is enough to drive by the coast?

South of England.

Default Yes it is.

Yes you have plenty of time and would also have time for more, but that will depend on what your plans are in each place and how much time you want to spend at them. With 15 days you could consider taking the coast and going to Vegas as planned and then head back to San Fran via Death valley and Yosemite to create a loop trip. I would recommend you do a little research and look at a good paper map to get a feel of of the area and what you want to do. If you want to take it slow and steady down the coast and end in Vegas, then that's fine as well, but you could consider going from LA to Grand canyon NP and then finish in Vegas.

Ok, you convinced me! I'll talk with another guys to consider Yosemite, Death Valley or Gran Canyon at least.

Thanks for your help and patience!