1. Default road trip from chicago to portland, or

hi, i would like to ask who has made this trip. looking for most scenic route. i will take my 14 yr sons and would like to stop to see best sights possible. suggestions please and thank you.

Welcome to RTA!

How many days do you have to make this trip? What sort of "sights" interest you? What dates are you looking at?

Default Get the boys involved.

You might like the boys to do the choosing of sites and research them to see what there is to see/do. You may also find that you will benefit greatly from getting some good maps, maps which have all the scenic routes hilighted, and have the attractions along the way marked on the map. Information which you will not find looking at a little screen.

If you are a member of AAA you can get free maps there. Get one for every State you will cover. Or you may prefer to pick up a road atlas such as the Rand McNally. These maps are invaluable during the planning process, and essential when you are on the road. It will also give the young men valuable experience in learning to read a map.

Lifey

4. Default

i have time. want to make it fun and educational, memories etc. it's summer and have two weeks. i'm thinking of driving there and staying for a few days and flying back. thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Welcome to RTA!

How many days do you have to make this trip? What sort of "sights" interest you? What dates are you looking at?

5. Default

i think that's a brilliant idea, thank you. do you have any suggestions that i can start off with?

Default Getting started.

The way to start is to decide what you want to see/do. Note these on the map, and you will find a route will appear before you between all those points. [For my next year's trip I already have a note book full of places I want to visit. When I get round to putting these on a map, a route will appear.]

There is so much to see along that route. I have driven it at least half a dozen times. I would be very surprised if you could not find enough to stretch the trip to several weeks. But why fly back? You could take a different route on the way back, and see even more of the country.

The best sights are the very ones the three of you are interested in. No point going by other people's best, they may not coincide with the interests of your party. All the most popular sights are marked on maps.

Lifey

It's 2100 miles from Chicago to Portland via the fastest route, which is about 4 days of driving one way. You might want to keep that in mind as you decide what to do.

Donna

8. Default

I have 10-14 days, grand canyon, arches national park, possible tetons and possible las vegas

You probably don't have time to get to all of those places with your timeframe.

Arches, Grand Canyon, and Vegas could work, or you could also look at Yellowstone and the Tetons, but it's really a lot of miles to get to all of those places, and head all the way back up to Portland.