1. Default Roadtrip chicago -> LA in 12 days

Hey all. 3 guys are planning a summer roadtrip from chicago->LA in the end of august. We 're foreigners and have never really done a roadtrip in the US before, so i m wondering if you think this route is do-able in ~12 days. I 've tried to include most interesting places i could find but i m not sure that's enough to make it interesting. I would appreciate your input .

Here is the route:!3e0

This is my first post so I apologize if this is not the correct thread.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

Only part of that map came through for me. I had to chuckle, as it was also in your language but I still understood it because Maps are somewhat universal language.

Chicago to LA is about a 4 day trip if you go by the most direct route. From your map, it looks like you want to stop at Mesa Verde National Park (NP) in Colorado, Canyonlands and Arches in Utah, Capitol Reef-Bryce-Zion in Utah, Las Vegas, and down to LA. If you stopped at each of those, you add 7 more days. Then there's the "between places" travel.

Is there a way you can fly into Denver and start your trip from there? You'd save yourselves 2 full days of doing nothing but driving.

Tucson, AZ

Default Choices

Καλωσήρθατε Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

While I agree with Donna about the beauty you'll encounter on the western portion of your trip, I might take exception to her belief that the eastern portion of it will be nothing more than "2 full days of doing nothing but driving." The Iowa plains and the Platte River can be scenic in their own right. In Iowa, you'll be passing near the "Field of Dreams" in Dyersville and the Amana Colonies, while in Nebraska the Platte River follows the old Oregon Trail, a route followed by many of the early Settlers headed west. Take the time to explore some of these smaller attractions.

Spend as much of a full day as you can at Mesa Verde, Arches, Bryce Canyon, Zion and the Grand Canyon as you can. You could spend more at any or all of them, but if you give each of them 8-10 hours you'll be doing them justice and will have memories along with the snapshots when you get home. Since you've got at least four national parks on your itinerary, buy an annual pass at the entrance to the first one. This will get you and everyone in your car into all national parks and monuments for the rest of your trip.

I don't think you have to worry about keeping it interesting. But you will wish, when it's all over, that you had more time.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Mesa Verde.

Be aware that the best way - probably the only way - to appreciate the significant and value of Mesa Verde is to do the ranger led tours. These tours need to be booked into a couple of days ahead, if you want to do both tours on the one day. The tours are invaluable if this park is on your radar.

5. Default

Thank you all for your replies!

Sorry for the URL, you can switch to the english version by changing go!3e0

As AZBuck says, i think i will enjoy the driving in the endless plains in the east!

Do you think there will be enough time to visit all MV, arches, bryce, zion and grand canyon (and possibly monument valley) ? If we had to drop one, which one would it be?