1. Default Toronto to Orlando road trip

what's up guys it turns out we are now doing a road trip to Orlando in August we'll be there for 5 days. theres 7, max 8 of us so we'll be renting 2 cars(all of us drive by the way & we've agreed on switching every 3-4hrs). we already have everything planned out from the cost of the trip to the vacation home. We also think $100 each for gas should be enough total of $400/each car, if not then how much? & I've heard that some gas stations you need to have a zip code to pay at the pump, is there any way around that? and is it better to pay with cash, debit or credit in the states when buying gas?

I just want suggestions on which route to take either between the I-75 or I-95?? I read some other people's reviews on the trips & I see alot of them say the I-75 is about 100km longer and a bit more boring but the I-95 has many speed traps especially for Canadians and goes through a lot of small towns forcing you to slow to down to lower speed limits more. I was wondering if that was true and if any of you have any experience with either routes?

also want to know what would be a good halfway point if we decide to do an overnight stop we were thinking Charlotte for the I-95 route but I see a lot of people say Beckley, West Virginia. I know someone thats does the trip every year & he said it should take about 20-24hrs if your making good time with a good amount of stops

thank you guys in advance

Default Third time lucky?

From what I can see, this is your third attempt at planning a roadtrip for this coming summer. As well you have introduced new factors to consider - i.e. a party of eight travelling with two cars.

However you are still looking at a trip of some 2000 miles. Which you will realise, if you read back over and take note of the comments in your previous threads, cannot be done in two days... not even with four drivers in each car. No one can get any rest in a car with four adults in it. Each person will be exhausted after 12 hours in the car, and even that is more than professional drivers are allowed, for safety's sake.

On top of that, with a party of 8 travelling in two cars, this trip will take longer than you think. The larger the party, the slower the progress. Count on at least two, but better three overnight stops.

As for which route to take, are you actually using good paper maps to plan this. You will NOT see all your options within the confines of a little screen. CAA have excellent maps (free to members). Pick up one of each State through which you will be travelling. Alternatively get a good road atlas such as a Rand McNally. These maps will show all the options of routes available to you, the towns along the way, and points of interest at which you may want to take a break.

As for a route being boring, that is purely a state of mind. There is something of interest along every route, if you care to take note, and take an interest in the country through which you will be travelling. This article might give you some pointers.

Lifey

Default the only decision that matters

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqG09 View Post
    also want to know what would be a good halfway point if we decide to do an overnight stop we were thinking Charlotte for the I-95 route but I see a lot of people say Beckley, West Virginia. I know someone thats does the trip every year & he said it should take about 20-24hrs if your making good time with a good amount of stops
    Let's make one thing perfectly clear - saying "if" you decide to stop is quite literally saying "if" you decide not to be a homicidal menace on the highways. It is not possible to safely make this 1300 mile drive without stopping overnight for sleep, no matter how many drivers you have. Anyone who tells you they have done it, may be telling you the truth, but what they are telling you is that they have no regard at all for the lives of anyone else on the road, as attempting it is every bit as dangerous as driving drunk.

Wytheville, VA is about the halfway point, and you should make reservations there before you go. Beckley is not far enough, and would require you to drive more than 700 miles on day 2 - which again, is not safe or smart. That is also the only route you can go to attempt this drive in just 2 days - using any other route would require a 2nd overnight stop.

If a gas station requires you to enter a zip code to pay at the pump, you get around it by going inside the station to pay. Your debit card will likely not work in the US, as Canadian debit cards work on a different system - although if it is a visa/mastercard debit card, you can still use it as a credit card.

Default Oooops!! I better learn to look before I post.

Unbeknowns to me my google map was set to kms. No idea why, as I never use them. But it certa9inly makes my response above completely irrelevant.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Unbeknowns to me my google map was set to kms. No idea why, as I never use them.
    When you list the starting point of a trip in Canada (or any other country that uses km), Google defaults to using km. You have to change it to miles manually.

Default Learned something new.

Thanks Michael. I never knew that. Just goes to show, ye learn something new every day.

Lifey