Default MN to Long Island - Toll Question

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Plan on taking the following route:

I-90 into IL, get off on I-290 in the western Chicago suburbs, take that to I-355 to I-80. Take that to the Indiana Toll Road which is once again I-90. Take that through Ohio to west of Cleveland and follow I-90 to Buffalo. Cash tolls on this route for a passenger car are $27.80. Illinois has barrier tolls, Indiana, Ohio, and New York use ticket systems.
    I have a quick question! I'm heading to Long Island, NY from MN which is basically I-80 straight from when you first mentioned getting on near Chicago. If I just stay on there all the way to Long Island and DON'T switch to I-90, do you know what my tolls rates would be total? Or is there a cheaper way? Thank you!

Moderator Note: Post moved from this thread. Thanks for reading old posts, but we prefer to give each trip it's own thread.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-18-2015 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Moved

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Sticking to I-80 is probably your best bet. If you don't have an I-Pass or EZPass, you should probably get one. You can order in advance of your trip, or pick one up at the Road Ranger Truck Stop right when you get into Illinois on I-90/I-39. If you have a transponder, It will cost you about $15 to get across Indiana and Ohio, plus around $10 to cross the Bridge/Tunnel into New York. You'll also have tolls around Chicago and possibly New York City that will depend upon which route you take. Paying cash will end up costing you at least $20 more, again, depending upon which exact route you use around Chicago and NYC. (keep in mind, the previous post you saw was originally from 2007, so prices have gone up since then.)

You could make the trip nearly Toll Free. Instead of going through Chicago, continue south on I-39 at Rockford, then take I-74 to Indianapolis, I-70 to Columbus, then I-71 and I-76 back up to I-80. You'd only have 1 toll, just into Illinois, but that would add 150 miles to your trip.

That one toll that Michael was speaking of, just into Illinois, was around $5 this past summer (2014). We used that I-39 route just to avoid going through Chicago!

Donna

I think you're mistaken, Donna. The South Beloit Toll Plaza (on I-39/I-90) is on $1.90 cash, 95 cents with an IPass.

With an IPass it cost $3.95 to drive from Wisconsin all the way to Downtown Chicago - and beyond if you use I-94 to I-80. If you use I-294 to bypass downtown, it's $5.75 to get to Indiana. Cash prices are a little more than double that.

You're probably correct, Michael. I didn't go running for my journal, I just remembered that it was pretty cheap, the cheapest toll all summer. But it had better be, as it was the shortest toll road.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    If you use I-294 to bypass downtown, it's $5.75 to get to Indiana. Cash prices are a little more than double that.
    I'd recommend if you don't take I-39 to I-74, you use I-290/I-355/I-80 to bypass Chicago instead of I-294. Less traffic.