Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default What to visit in the states?

Hello forum

My friend and I are planning to visit the states sometime next spring. We are still in preparation state and discussed what to visit. I myself really whats to see some different nature than the danish we're use to. We also want to visit some cities, but do you have any suggestion that wont break the bank? We've planned to drive around in a rental car - because freedom... :)

Cheers

Default What to Visit in Europe?

Velkommen! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Your question is just far to broad and open-ended to answer. Note that the US is roughly the same size as all of Europe and has roughly half the population, so there is a whole lot to see. And you haven't even told us where you will be flying into. So before we can start giving you advice, you'll have to fill us in on a few details, most notably: Where will your trip start and end? How long do you have for any RoadTrip portion of your visit? What are your interests and/or what do you hope to take away from your visit?

AZBuck

Welcome to RTA!

You mention "won't break the bank", and that brings two things to mind. While planning, you may want to do a loop trip, meaning you start and end your trip at the same airport. That will save you a bundle on one-way rental car fees. The other thing is that your screen name may give me some idea that you are in your early 20s. If that is the case, there are fees added for under-25-year-old drivers. Those fees are usually $25 per day, per under-25 driver, added to the overall price of the car rental. We have heard that overseas consolidators for USA car rentals, can get those fees waived for you. So bear these two things in mind as you plan.

Donna

Also, if you are under 21, you can't even rent a car here - with very few exceptions and a lot of restrictions.

As Buck rightly points out, it is a very broad question with thousands of options so you need to do some of your own research. As also noted, much depends on how much time you have but for "different nature" you could start by looking at Arizona and Southern Utah for it's incredible red rock and desert scenery which could include some National parks (Grand canyon, Zion, Bryce canyon, Arches and Mesa Verde ) and iconic places such as Monument valley, parts of route 66 and Hoover dam etc. Best get reading !

6. Default

I have some rough plans about the trip, like he said, it's only in the preparation state:

Rental of car from fox rent a car (seems like the best, if not only, option!)

our budget for the trips to different locations is roughly 3000$ pr. person.

30 days (or 4 weeks) in california and travel through nevade, utah and arizona.

30 days (or 4 weeks) in colorado, we really dont have a plan for this, but we are thinking about either going north or east.

and at last 30 days at the east coast, most likely florida south carolina etc.

or only limitations might be the rental companys policies:
    "Vehicle rentals originating in the states Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, Utah and Washington can only be driven within the states of Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. Vehicles originated in Florida must remain in the state of Florida."

we wrote the car registration thread if this text seems similar!

Regards

That takes care of visiting the western states, but on the east coast you cannot leave the state of Florida. Don't even try, the cars have GPS chips and you don't need any legal issues. Fox is in fact your only option if under 21. If you want to go to any other eastern states you will have to use public transportation.

Default The dreams of youth.

How wonderful to have dreams... a goal. But right now you are not ready to make them a reality.

Remember, not everything needs to be accomplished before you are 25. What I would recommend you do, is spend the next few years learning much more about the States. Get hold of a good wall map of the States - The large National Geographics is a good one and get a good idea of what is where, and where it all is in relation to one another. Learn about financial penalties of being under 25, and work hard to save a much larger bank. Then, when the financial penalties of youth are no longer relevant you will all be more prepared, and will know where you want to go, and be in a much better position to enjoy a Roadtrip. All the great attractions of the US will still be there.

Meanwhile, don't stop dreaming.

Lifey

9. Default

As we said we only have a rough idea what to visit. The 3.000$ i spoke about, is what we would like to spend on the entrance fees for different national parks and rollercoaster parks etc. we have spoken about going to see monument valley, death valley, grand canyon (maybe take a day hiking trip or rafting if not to expensive), yosemite national (go hiking to the valley spot) redwood national park. And then spend 4 days in Los Angeles, 4 days in las vegas and days in san francisco.

Or problem is what to see when going to colorado and the east coast, other than the Four corners monument.
    The trip to colorado, would look like Colorado, New Mexico (a trip to el paso might be good idea, just visiting mexico on foot) Texas, fast through oklahoma and kansas and then ending up in denver again.

For the last days we either want to just visit miami as a vaccation, just relaxing instead of travelling as much as we will do the days before or it should be a trip up north to visit New York for example.

We would like to get some ideas of what is worth a visit when travelling through, i hope you guys have the idea of where we would like to go!

As for the money goes, we would have 18.000$ each to spend on the whole trip (36.000$ total).

I hope you guys would give us some ideas for it!

Some ideas for Colorado/New Mexico. Mesa Verde NP, Colorado National Monument, 'Million dollar highway, (Ouray, Silverton, Durango) Black canyon, Currecanti recreation area, Leadville, Loveland pass, Rocky mountain NP, Garden of the gods, Cave of the winds, Pikes peak, Great sand dunes NP, Taos pueblo, Rio Grande gorge bridge, Santa Fe, Albuquerque and these are but a few !!