Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default San Francisco to Las vegas

Evening all, Used this site a few times before and the information has been invaluable in planning not just our own trips but also our Parents(Thank you) Have looked at various threads over the last few months to help plan this popular trip but thought I would throw our itinerary into a Post just for a bit of reassurance and further advice.

5 of us embarking very soon on what we hope is another great trip

Fly London to San Francisco 26th may 2015

3 Nights in The Holiday inn and Suites Fishermans Wharf (Wife works for the Holiday Inn so got a cracking staff rate)

We have Alcatraz night tour and wine tasting booked in Napa/Sonoma valley, so any other recommendations on things to do/places to eat etc

29th May, pick our 7 seater up from Central San Francisco and Head to Yosemite, was after driving directions and possible places to stop off for shopping and Lunch as we have a Lodge booked at Scenic Wonders in Yosemite west so will need to stock up before arriving

3 nights in Yosemite so planned to see Glacier Point, Sequoias at Mariposa grove and any other places of interest you could recommend plus places/towns to possibly have a meal out and a few drinks

1st June head out over the Tioga pass to Lone pine for 1 night, stayed here before at the Dow villa Motel and plan to drive a bit further up Mt Whitney as last time was early April and was shut very low down

2nd June drive to Death valley and staying overnight at Furnace creek, we have drove through Death valley before but never stayed over so looking forward to the sunset and night skies

3rd June On to Vegas for 4 nights to meet up with a few friends for a bit of fun before flying home

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards Andy

If you are picking the van up in the middle of the city and going to Scenic Wonders, head for the Bay Bridge (I-80), cross it, and take the first exit for I-580. Take that over Altamont Pass and take I-205 to I-5 north, then take CA-120 east to CA-99 south to Merced. You could stock up in Modesto, Turlock, or Merced - all 3 of them have Walmarts among other stores, but I don't know about any decent lunch stops, all 3 are pretty gritty farm towns. From Merced, take CA-140 east to Mariposa, then CA-49 to Oakhurst and CA-41 into the park, the road into your lodging will be on the left just before you get to the Glacier Point road. Mariposa and Oakhurst are small, but both should have some decent restaurants and smaller grocery stores.

From your lodging, the closest place outside the park to find a selection of bars and restaurants would probably be Oakhurst. However, there are groceries and dining in the park. The restaurant at the Ahwahnee is world-class fine dining with a dress code.

3. Default

Thanks for the reply, is that route quicker than staying on 120 through Groveland and entering the Park that way?

Following your route how long would you envisage travelling time from SF to our Lodging

Regards Andy

Going in 120 is quicker to the park entrances, but to get from the 120 entrance to your lodging you have to go all the way into the Valley and back out. It's probably a wash - I'd go in 120 if you want to sightsee before checking in. If you do that, you can do your stocking up in Oakdale, it has 3 grocery stores and a K-mart.

From downtown SF to your lodging via 120 is 200 miles. Via Merced and Oakhurst it's 225 miles, but either way should take you about 5 hours.

5. Default

Thanks again, will probably head straight to the lodging, unwind and get ready for the following day, Probably impossible to predict but would you think the tioga pass would be back open by the 1st June

Unless they get more snow in the next couple weeks, Tioga should be open.

If you do go in the south entrance on 41, I'd visit the Mariposa Grove before going to your lodging. It's right there by the entrance.

As you get near to the end of CA120 there is a gas station on the right hand side. If its time to eat there is a nice diner inside called Woah Nellie's Deli that serves good food. A few hundred yards past the gas station is a car park with views over looking Mono Lake.

You have a great trip to look forward to!

Dave is talking about after you go over Tioga Pass in Lee Vining. It's just before US-395. Last time I was through there it was a Mobil station. The parking lot is on the side road that you have to turn into to get to the gas station/deli. Note - gas is expensive there! Fill your tank before you get to Yosemite, the gas in the park is also expensive. The farther south you go from Lee Vining, the cheaper it gets, if you can make it to Bishop you can save substantially. When you get to Nevada, it's considerably cheaper than anywhere in California, fill up in Pahrump.

Examples, today's prices:

Oakhurst/Mariposa: $3.59
    Groveland: $3.52
    Merced: $3.39
    Lee Vining: $4.39
    Bishop: $3.73
    Pahrump: $2.89
    Las Vegas: $3.09

Gas in Yosemite isn't reported, but it's usually close to Lee Vining prices.

If you see an Arco station, their prices are usually as low as any, but they do NOT take credit cards, and there's a 35 cent fee to use a debit card.

9. Default

Thanks guys, sounds a great stop for lunch before heading to Lone pine, is Mariposa grove were we can see the Giant Sequoia's?

We have a full tank of fuel included in car hire, but not sure how far we will get before filling up, may top it up before entering Yosemite so we can get to Lone Pine before Filling up there a bit cheaper

Yes, Mariposa grove is home to the Sequoias. Glacier point is a favourite spot with awesome views of Half Dome and the valley. I would top up your tank before entering Yosemite, if you take CA120 there is a gas station in Grovel and.

Allow plenty of time to cross Tioga pass as you will want to stop and take in the views and have a little stroll.