1. Default 5 day scenic/nature trip from Vegas to Lake Tahoe

Hello all! What are the must see places for a five day drive from Las Vegas to Lake Tahoe? I was thinking to go thru the sierra nevada, king canyons, yosemite, then lake tahoe? Is that possible in 5 days? do you have better ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Ps. how has the drought affected the landscape and are there places i should skip because of it?

Default What you want to see is all that matters.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

We don't do 'must see' or 'best' here as peoples tastes vary, but what you have planned would be hard to beat and yes, you have the time. To get to Kings canyon you would have to first go south around the mountains via Lake Isabella/Bakersfield and then enter Seqouia NP from the south and up to Kings canyon, on to Yosemite and then cross the Tioga Pass [CA120] to Mono Lake and north to Tahoe. You could first drive through Death valley from Vegas and stop on route to Sequoia. The landscape is just fine. ;-)

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to RTA !

We don't do 'must see' or 'best' here as peoples tastes vary, but what you have planned would be hard to beat and yes, you have the time. To get to Kings canyon you would have to first go south around the mountains via Lake Isabella/Bakersfield and then enter Seqouia NP from the south and up to Kings canyon, on to Yosemite and then cross the Tioga Pass [CA120] to Mono Lake and north to Tahoe. You could first drive through Death valley from Vegas and stop on route to Sequoia. The landscape is just fine. ;-)
    thanks for the reply Southwest Dave,
    so the scenery from Vegas through Death Valley and then on to Sequoia is nicer than the south of Sierra? Also are you familiar with Yosemite? A friend told me to avoid the touristic part of it, but i'm not sure what part that is.

Yosemite is a hot spot for tourists and as with most things the main attractins are the most popular. It's not to say you can't find a quiet spot, but you shouldn't miss out on things like the view from Glacier point and the valley.

so the scenery from Vegas through Death Valley and then on to Sequoia is nicer than the south of Sierra?
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Sequoia NP is near the southern end of the Sierra's. You can't access Kings canyon from the east side of the mountains so you have to go around the southern end.

5. Default

Oh, when i mapped it out, it took me south through I-15 s and CA 58 w... which misses death valley.

Yes Death valley is a bit of a detour, but the landscape is something else ! It will be very hot but you can enjoy from the comfort of your air conditioned car and perhaps enjoy a couple of viewpoints such as Zabriske point and the sand dunes. You can get refreshments at Furnace creek and if you feel you have time head a little way south of there to Badwater Basin, the lowest point below sea level in the USA, and the hottest !!

7. Default

Thanks a lot for the advice!

If you go through Death Valley, you would take 395 and 14 south to 178 through Lake Isabella to get to Sequoia. That's a very scenic drive. You can either go to Bakersfield and north on 65 or 99, or go north and west on 155, which is slow going but takes you through the national forest.