1. Default Moving from Cincinnati,OH to Riverside,CA

I'm planning to move from Cincinnati,OH to Riverside,CA during the July 4th weekend. The route is approximately 2200 miles and I expect it will take me 3 days to do it. I am planning to drive for about 12 hours every day (7am - 7pm). The route suggested by Google Maps is fairly straightforward (I-70 -> I-44 -> I-40 -> I-15). My questions are:
    1. Is 12 hours of driving a day doable for a single driver?
    2. What are some good suggestions for waypoints where I can find a decent hotel/lodge for the night?
    3. Are there any websites that will do this kind of planning for me, viz. take my inputs for a 12 hour driving day and figure out where I will be by the night time and suggest lodges/hotels?
    4. Are there certain states where gas is much more expensive, so I should plan ahead for filling up before I enter those states?
    5. Is the entire trip practical? If I plan to start from Ohio on Friday 07/03 morning around 7am, is it reasonable for me to expect to reach Riverside,CA by the evening on Sunday 07/05?
    6. Are there cities/places on this route where I need to be mindful of bad traffic conditions or major detours/construction?

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips/suggestions.

Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

As a solo driver, you will possibly find that 12 hours on the road day after day, soon gets less. This is a 3.5 day trip, covering the maximum distance (600 miles) a professional driver can by law cover. As a solo driver I find that one day of 600 is fine, but multiple days becomes fatiguing. (fatigue is one of the greatest killers on the road.)

If you do not already have a road side assistance package, surch as AAA, I highly recommend you join AAA. The benefits are multiple. Security and peace of mind, knowing that if something goes wrong, you will not be dependent on passing motorists. AAA also have among the best maps in the country. Be sure to pick up a map of all the States you plan to cover, so that you can see the BIG picture. Do not rely on your little screens, they can be notoriously unreliable. A gps is great for looking up an address at the end of your day.

AAA maps are free to members. Show the country your trip will traverse. Or you may prefer a road atlas such as the Rand McNally. And whereas you will not have much time for sightseeing, it will not take much extra time to take the short detour over Loveland Pass (US6) off I-70 in CO.

Your trip is pretty straight forward, but be sure to have a break every couple of hours, to walk around and get the oxygen back in your blood. Have time out of the car and refresh your mind. As a solo driver this is most important.

Lifey

Welcome to RTA!

No, 2200 miles is going to take you 4 days, not 3. Any less is totally unsafe.

Google Maps is correct for routing (I-74/I-70/I-44/I-40/I-15) but NOT drive times. They assume NO stops whatsoever for anything, no traffic or construction delays, and driving at least the speed limit all the way. This is 4 full days, 10 to 12 hours on the road each day counting food, gas, and bathroom stops. Stop at least every 2 to 3 hours for a stretch.

Suggested overnights are Springfield MO, Amarillo TX, and Flagstaff AZ. You can research hotels right HERE (click the link).

For researching gas prices, use gasbuddy.com, you can also download their app for a smartphone.

Bypasses:

Indy: I-465 south
    STL: I-270 around the NW
    Tulsa: stay on I-44 (2 tolls on I-44 in OK, both $4 cash, booths are attended)
    OKC: Kirkpatrick Turnpike (toll, exact change, bring a handful of quarters, booths not always attended)

Lifey, this trip goes nowhere near Colorado as routed, I-70 all the way to I-15 is certainly possible but it's longer. That would put overnights around Kansas City, Denver, and Cedar City UT. KC, go through town on I-70/I-670, Denver and Las Vegas, go straight through.

4. Default

Thank you for the very useful tips/advice, glc & lifey! I will definitely sign up with AAA and make use of their services. I have one follow-up question, though. Would it be possible to do the trip in a shorter time if I had a co-driver with me?

Default It takes two

No! It would give you a break from driving, but it is essential that with two drivers both have to be alert at all times. The driver to concentrate, the navigator to make sure the driver stays alert. That is one of the main reasons why, as a solo, I rarely cover 500 miles in a day.

Lifey

Default My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Lifey, this trip goes nowhere near Colorado as routed, I-70 all the way to I-15 is certainly possible but it's longer. That would put overnights around Kansas City, Denver, and Cedar City UT. KC, go through town on I-70/I-670, Denver and Las Vegas, go straight through.
    Oooops! not sure what I was thinking. Thanks for the correction.

Lifey

Default Not significantly

Quote Originally Posted by swarooprao View Post
    Would it be possible to do the trip in a shorter time if I had a co-driver with me?
    If you can get a co-driver, I'd strongly recommend it, but it's not going to help you get there any faster.

Covering 2200 miles in 4 days as a solo driver is very hard work, and if you don't have experience with long-haul trips, even that is really pushing the limits of what you should try to do. Having a second driver would make that a lot easier, and provide an important second set of eyes to help you keep your concentration and avoid falling into a state of road hypnosis.

But that doesn't mean you can get really any farther each day. Simply sitting in a car for 600 miles a day is tiring, and at the end of that time, neither of you would be in good shape to be good drivers. A second driver might let you push an extra hour down the road each night, and you might get in a couple hours earlier on day 4, but that's about the best you could hope for. There's still no way you could safely cover the more than 700 miles each day you'd need to cut this down to a 3 day trip.