1. Default Southern ca to Orlando FL fast!!

An unexpected family matter has arised and i must make this drive. Is it possible to get to Orlando international airport on tuesday if i leave saturday evening? It will be me and my father. I will do most of the driving. Mapquest says 1 day 10 hours 2480 miles. How many hours do i add to that? Hoping to stop only for gas/food/ potty and maybe 2-3 hours of sleep and thats assuming my dad cant handle driving while i sleep.
    Thanks im new to these forums and searched for similar threads but nothing from similar circumstances.
    Driving a ford f350 diesal superduty truck 1996 in good shape no issue with dependability just a gas lover unfortunetly. Oh and obviosly Flying there not an option:( otherwise i wouldnt have posted :)
    Thanks in advance
    God bless
    Dom

Welcome to RTA!

Almost, but not quite. If you leave Saturday morning you could do it. DANGER: With only 2 drivers, do not attempt to burn the candle at both ends, you BOTH need a halfway decent night's sleep in a motel bed each night, 2 to 3 hours is nowhere near enough. When driving long hours, you need 2 people awake. 600 miles a day is all you can expect to do on a multi-day trip.

3. Default

Thanks for your reply im trying to work out leaving earlier om saturday

Your overnights should be Lordsburg NM, San Antonio TX, and Gulfport MS.

5. Default

Ok thanks you think 4 hours sleep? Thats 12 hours added.. Then how much time for refuel bathroom eat stretch etc?

Let's make things clear - you need a full night of sleep (8 hours or so) between full days on the road. Failing to get enough rest will make you every bit as dangerous as a drunk driver.

The fastest you can do this trip is in 4 very long days on the road - and that's even faster than professional drivers are allowed to do in a day because of safety laws. Anything else will be putting your lives, along with the lives of everyone else on the road, in danger. Go and prebook rooms in the cities that GLC suggested so you aren't tempted to push yourself beyond what is safe. If you can't do that - and you can't fly - you shouldn't make this trip. Whatever your reason for traveling - it's not more important than the lives of those with whom you will be sharing the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizman View Post
    Ok Then how much time for refuel bathroom eat stretch etc?
    That of course depends greatly on your travel style. But I would highly recommend that you go for a five or ten minute walk around the area where you stop, each time to get oxygen back into your bloodstream and your focus re adjusted.

Expect to be on the road for some 42 - 44 hours. But be aware, fatigue, one of the greatest killers on the road, is cumulative. By the time you feel tired you are already beyond the point of being a safe driver. Aim to eat well, get onto the road by 6am when you have had a good night's sleep. You can skip a shower, but you need ample sleep.

And get onto the road as early as possible on Saturday. Have a safe trip.

Lifey

When Lifey suggests 42-44 hours, she doesn't mean non-stop. As others have said, you MUST stop and get some rest. In a motel. In a bed. Not at the side of the road, not in your pickup.

2500 miles will be 4 days of about 625 miles per day. Those are long days -- of about 12 hours each, NOT including the time changes you will experience. (One at the AZ/NM border, another at the NM/TX border, and another one in the FL panhandle. Three hours difference, and you are losing those hours going east.) Leave Saturday morning, and you can get there on Tuesday evening.

Donna

Yes Donna, that is exactly what I meant. But I had forgotton about the three hours lost heading east. Thanks for throwing that into the mix. It makes it all the more important that they leave early on Saturday. This trip is a FULL/LONG four days and, as Michael mentioned, can't be completed on three or four hours sleep each night.

Lifey