Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Trip California SF-Coast-LA-SequoiaNP-Lasvegas

Hi,
    I implanning a trip to california. Would you be able to give me advice concerning the length of time to stay in each place and also any advice on what to do and see. Here are my date but this is just the first draft of my itinirary. Thanks so much for your any help

Dates :
    Arriving :San fransisco June 16
    Leaving : Las Vegas June 30

Itinerary idea :
    16: Arriving in San Fransisco
    17: San Fransisco
    18: San Fransisco
    19: Renting a car leaving for the coast direction Monterrey (stop for the night maybe ahalf way between San fransisco and LA)
    20: Continue the Coast road and arrive in LA at night
    21: Venice beach
    22: LA
    23 : LA
    24:leaving La to go to Sequoia NP
    25: sequoia NP
    26: Leaving the sequoia NP area and driving to Las Vegas
    27: 1 day trip to Grand canyon with the car ( give the car back at the end of the day)
    28: Las vegas visit
    29: Las vegas visit
    30: Leaving Las Vegas at night

Default Grand Canyon NP.

Hi rosie and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

The one thing on your itinerary which jumps out at me is the 27th. The Grand Canyon NP and back, is more than a days' drive from LV, and requires an overnight stop in or near the GC.

I should also mention that when in LV you will see advertised many trips and flights to the GC. Be aware that very few of them (if any) go to the NP. They go to the west rim, which is no where near as spectacular as the NP. Besides, there is nothing like standing on the rim and seeing the canyon. Some tours go to the Sky walk which is also on the west rim, is horrendously expensive to visit and forbids the taking of photos.

Lifey

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you've got a good start, but there's a couple things that you might want to adjust.

The biggest thing is the Grand Canyon - It's just not a 1 daytrip from Vegas. You're looking at 5 hours of driving each way, which doesn't leave time left to actually see the canyon. You really need to plan an overnight near the Canyon.

The other is that Sequoia to Las Vegas is a long drive, because there is no direct route. While they are fairly close as the crow flies, you have to drive back down to Bakersfield to get across the Mountains. As you have it now, it would work, but it will basically be an all day drive to do it.

You haven't included Yosemite or Death Valley. Yosemite does have the advantage of having Tioga Pass, which is a route you can use to get over the Sierras, and then Death Valley is right on the way to Vegas, even if for just a quick drive through. There is also a grove of Giant Sequoias in Yosemite, if your only reason for going to Sequoia NP is to see the big trees.

4. Default

Hi Lifey,

First thanks for answering. Which place do i have to visit in Grand canyon NP, which access is the good one and also where did you sleep, i mean which city near Grand canyon ?

There is also a grove of Giant Sequoias in Yosemite, if your only reason for going to Sequoia NP is to see the big trees.
    The Mariposa Grove and the access road is closing in June or July for about 2 years for restoration. There will be partial access, but you have to hike in.

Quote Originally Posted by rosie2015 View Post
    Which place do i have to visit in Grand canyon NP, which access is the good one and also where did you sleep, i mean which city near Grand canyon ?
    What you want is the South Rim. Take US-93 out of Las Vegas to Kingman, then I-40 east to Williams, then AZ-64 to the south entrance - or go to Flagstaff and take US-89 north to AZ-64 and go in the east entrance.

If possible, reserve lodging in the park. Otherwise, the closest (but most expensive) lodging is in Tusayan, which is right outside the south entrance, there are a few hotels in that town. Next closest is the Cameron Trading Post, which is in Cameron on US-89 just north of AZ-64, you would go out the east entrance to get there. Flagstaff and Williams both have a good selection of hotels.

You should try to experience either a sunrise or sunset at the canyon.

7. Default

Hi Michael,

If obviously my first time in California and i would have like to visit at least one NP. If i would have more time i would visit them all but i only have 2 weeks. I know that sequoia NP is really far from my route and it lloked like a big detour but someone told me that was a must see. If i understand propaly you think that it would be a too big detour and you think that it would be better for me to go to another NP like yosemite . Are they similar NP ? which one do you recommend and why? thanks
    Last edited by rosie2015; 05-10-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rosie2015 View Post
    Which place do i have to visit in Grand canyon NP, which access is the good one and also where did you sleep, i mean which city near Grand canyon ?
    Do you have a good map. You will see, near the South Rim, a small place Tusayan, though that is quite expensive. Williams is a good place to stay if you can't get, or afford accommodation within the park. That would allow you to catch a sunset/sunrise over the canyon, an experience not to be missed.

When I have visited the South Rim, I have stayed in Flagstaff, but that is far too far for your time line.

Lifey

Both Sequoia and Yosemite are great parks, and you couldn't go wrong with either one. Yosemite is a bit more popular, but Sequoia has a lot going for it too. I really was just throwing other options for you to consider.

10. Default

Would that make more sens :

Itineraire 2 :
    16: Arriving in San Fransisco
    17: San Fransisco
    18: San Fransisco
    19: Renting a car driving to Yosemite NP visit afternoon
    20: Yosemite in the morning and driving to monterrey afternoon
    21: Driving coast and stoping for the night half way aroud santa maria
    22: Continue coast and sleep in LA
    23 : Venice beach
    24:LA
    25: LA
    26: leaving LA to Grand canyon NP (Tusayan)
    27: Grand canyon visit all day and arrive late night at the hotel in LV
    28: Las vegas visit
    29: Las vegas visit
    30: Leaving Las Vegas at night