Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Advice on road trip from Orlando, FL to Boulder, CO

Please advice on the best route. Which one is better I-75 or I-10? Will take 3 days and stay 2 nights in motel.

Default Neither Really Works

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The shortest possible all-Intestate route is I-75 up to Chattanooga, I-24 to southern Illinois, I-57 to I-70, and I-70 the rest of the way to Denver. But even that is 1850 miles meaning that you'd have to drive more hours and more miles each day than professional drivers are permitted to by law. It is unsafe and we simply can't recommend it. Even with two (or more) drivers this will be exhausting. Remember that you should have two people awake and alert at all times on such a speed run and that nobody in the car will be able to get any quality sleep at any point while the car is in motion. And it will need to be in motion constantly with barely time to stop for gas, bathroom usage, and ordering fast food from the take-out lane.

AZBuck

As Buck said, it's just a bit too far for 3 days, but it can be done if you are prepared to be in the car from 12 to 14 hours a day. However, he left out one detail - you take I-57 to I-64 to I-70. If you do go ahead with it, overnights should be in Chattanooga and Kansas City.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    As Buck said, it's just a bit too far for 3 days, but it can be done if you are prepared to be in the car from 12 to 14 hours a day. However, he left out one detail - you take I-57 to I-64 to I-70. If you do go ahead with it, overnights should be in Chattanooga and Kansas City.
    Thank you both for the feedback. There will be two drivers and the overnight stops are @ Manchester TN and Independence, MO(close to Kansas City). I guess that it will take about 12 hours a day. The roads are all flat land so should be easy to drive except weather condition may be hard to predict. Hate to see rain.

I would recommend somewhere west of KC instead of Independence unless it's a weekend. Otherwise you will get all fouled up in morning rush hour trying to get through KC. Lawrence or Topeka would be better bets.

FYI, during midday I-64 right through downtown STL is fine, no need to take the bypass. Stay on I-64 all the way through, don't take I-70 right after you cross the river. I-64 has recently been totally reconstructed and is a clear shot all the way out to Wentzville. To get through KC, take I-70 and I-670, it's the least of the evils. However, if you stay in Lawrence, I'd recommend I-470 to I-435 to K-10 around the south of the city, K-10 takes you into Lawrence the "back way".

6. Default

Hi glc,

Thank you for the tips. I am looking at Google map, it seems to me that I-64 will go pass St. Louis and become I-70. But Google instructions say (from I-24) "Take exit 44B on the left to merge onto I-57 N toward Chicago" , then "Keep left at the fork to continue on I-64 W, follow signs for St Louis" and then "Take exit 3B for Illinois 3 N toward Kansas City" and finally "Merge onto I-70 W". Is this correct instructions?

Appreciate your help.

Your example is exactly why I find the computer printed step-by-step directions to actually be counter-productive towards planning a trip - and can really making things far more difficult than just following common sense.

It really will be as easy as going from one Interstate to the next. I-24 ends at I-57 in Illinois, so you'll just continue on it. I-57 and I-64 join together for a few miles around Mt. Vernon, and then you just continue following I-64 when they split. Just before you get to St. Louis, you'll go from I-64 to I-70 - there is probably also an exit for IL-3 in the same interchange, but if you weren't seeing the google directions, you wouldn't even make note of it.

Default You'll see it better on good maps.

That's the problem with following instructions..... soon you'll be lost.

Go get a Rande McNally road atlas or some good maps of each State, and have a close look where things go. It will be much clearer to you than on Google, which after all only shows you a selection of roads.... not all.

You are going to need good maps when on the road, so may as well get them now, while you are planning. Don't be tempted to rely solely on your electronics. They are wonderful for finding an address, but can be unreliable on a long trip. Many have got into trouble by blindly following a gps, some have lost their life.

Lifey

I-57 NORTH to I-64 WEST. In East St. Louis I-64 merges with I-55 and I-70 to cross the bridge into St. Louis, just follow I-64 WEST. STAY on I-64 WEST through the city, do NOT take the first I-70 exit. I-64 will end at I-70 in Wentzville, take I-70 WEST from there.

10. Default

Hi glc,

Thanks for the info. I looked at the map, going I-64 vs. I-70 early is about the same distance. What is the advantage for taking I-64?