1. Default Orlando to New York

Hello! I am planning a road trip to NY- 7 days total- 2 adult 2 children. Is it better to fly to NY and return to Orlando driving? What places can we stop to see on our way? This will be our very first road trip. Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks

Default That's Up to You

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I take it from your question that this will be a round trip and that you don't want to drive both ways. That's a perfectly fine way to take a vacation/RoadTrip but you need to be aware that there will most likely be a fairly hefty (measured in hundreds of dollars) one-way drop off fee on the car. Still doing it as a fly/drive saves you considerable time and you won't need the car while you are in New York City. In fact a car is an unnecessary expense/hassle in the city - traffic is terrible and parking is hard to find and expensive when you do. So which way to fly and which to drive. In part that depends on your preference and in part it depends on what you want to see between Florida and New York. There's no single one-size-fits-all "best" way to do things. I will note that there are at leas three different general routes that follow the east coast and that if you decide to take the one that follows the shore, then it might make some sense to drive northbound so that the beach is always on your side of the highway making impromptu pull-offs easier and safer.

AZBuck

We did similar back in summer 2012, as part of a longer trip. From Orlando we first went over to NASA and Cocoa Beach, then headed for Jacksonville. From there, we went up I-95, then US-17, US-13 and 113 through the Delmarva Peninsula before going up to north-central NJ. We stopped at Myrtle Beach one night, then Chesapeake VA another night. Things to see included the swamp lands (good for us desert dwellers), Chincoteague/Assateague Islands, the sights of Norfolk area, and (if we'd chosen to stop) some of the Plantations in the Carolinas and in Virginia.

Here's a link to that portion of our trip report. Once at the page, scroll down to post #15. WDW to northern NJ, 2012

Donna

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    We did similar back in summer 2012, as part of a longer trip. From Orlando we first went over to NASA and Cocoa Beach, then headed for Jacksonville. From there, we went up I-95, then US-17, US-13 and 113 through the Delmarva Peninsula before going up to north-central NJ. We stopped at Myrtle Beach one night, then Chesapeake VA another night. Things to see included the swamp lands (good for us desert dwellers), Chincoteague/Assateague Islands, the sights of Norfolk area, and (if we'd chosen to stop) some of the Plantations in the Carolinas and in Virginia.

Here's a link to that portion of our trip report. Once at the page, scroll down to post #15. WDW to northern NJ, 2012

Donna
    I love this route!! Cocoa beach is just amazing!
    I'm planning to get married in Orlando at the ending of 2016 and we want to do a similar road-trip as our honeymoon!
    I definitely want to go to New Orleans too! Get some nice food and music over there!
    I'm not too sure about WDW yet, maybe. I will check out your post from 2012 now! You made me curious!!

Moderator Note: New Members may not post off-site links.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-18-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Removed Link

5. Default

Some great ideas from the posts here. I would love to do a similar trip and would probably drive from south to north considering the advice about the beaches always being on the right side of the car. I would stop at Myrtle Beach, and also would be interested in seeing the plantations and the scenery in Virginia and also the Norfolk attractions. You've got to do your own thing, though, and it really depends on your own interests where you choose to stop.