1. Default National Parks in the area between Phoenix, AZ and Denver, CO

Hi, this is my first time to this forum, and I am excited to see what all you guys who have shared many, many good ideas and tips, are coming up with in my case :-)

I am thinking about a 14-day road trip from the Phoenix, AZ area to the Denver, CO area and back. Best time for me would be around May 2016 unless ya'll tell me spring is better for some reason. Since I am very much into photography (amateur style, not professional) I certainly need to take my time, however I do not plan on lots of hiking. I want to include the following:

- Antelope Canyon
    - Bryce Canyon
    - Canyonlands
    - Arches
    - Great Sand Dunes
    - Monument Valley

I definitely want to leave out Grand Canyon, and Phonix and Denver are not really on my must-see list, but at least one of these cities has to be my main hub for flying into (I'm coming from Germany) and renting my car.

I would like to know what you guys are thinking in terms of timing, and places I should go to but are not on my list yet.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You're certainly in for a great trip, and I think May should work out to be a good time for you.

A few other places you might want to consider that would fit in this same general area include Zion and Capitol Reef National Parks near Bryce. I really enjoyed Natural Bridges National Monument, between Arches/Canyonlands and Monument Valley. In Colorado, there are a few other places you might consider, including Mesa Verde, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and Rocky Mountain National Parks, as well as the Million Dollar Highway north of Durango.

Obviously, you've got a lot of options, and with 14 days you'll be able to see a lot of them, but you'll still have to make some choices, but it's hard to find bad options in this amazing part of the world.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Lots of photos to take.

Hi and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

If the GC is not on your list, Denver may be the best place to fly in and out of. It will give you access to Rocky Mountain National Park, though I would not bet on the Trail Ridge Road being open at that time of the year. It is always a gamble. I-70 to Utah is a very scenic route, with a worthwhile short detour over Loveland Pass. It will also take you to Colorado National Monument.

After visiting the Utah NPs and Monument Valley you could head back into Colorado to Mesa Verda on the way to the Great Sand Dunes NP and back to Denver. There are many more spectacular places and NPs in central Colorado, but with fourteen days it may be stretching things to hit many more.

Besides national parks and other attractions, you are bound to find often the road will give you fantastic photo opportunities.

May should be a good time, before school breaks up and before the summer crowds start coming.

4. Default

Hey, thanks a lot for the additional ideas. I have to check them out. Generally though, 14 days sounds like an OK timeframe for you or is it too packed?

Green County, Wisconsin

You can only work with the timeframe you have available.

With 14 days, you can have a great trip. You might not be able to get to all of the places that we've mentioned, and you might end up wishing you had more time for some areas - but that would also likely be true if you had a month or more.

As long as you accept that, and plan accordingly, you should be in great shape.