1. Default Orlando, Memphis, North Carolina, Birmingham Al Daytona

Hi first time poster needing advice please.

My husband usually does the planning but I would like to present him with some options and choices

We have done many USA Road trips over the last 20 years mainly West Coast, AZ NM NV CO TX and a good portion of Route 66 and many of the beautiful National Parks.

For our upcoming trip I decided to book a flight to Orlando ( got a good deal) and would like to visit Memphis and a few other things along the way.

We arrive in Orlando Mon Sept 28 2015 so would leave on Tue Oct 29th

We need to be back in Daytona Sunday Oct 11th

I would like to include the following things.

A visit to Wheels Through Time Vintage Motorcycle Museum Maggi Valley NC ( Closed Tue and Wed )

A visit to Angola Prison Rodeo Sunday Oct 5th

A couple of days in Memphis or near enough to drive into Memphis

A visit to the Barber Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham Al

Then back to Daytona ( were we have accommodation booked from Sun Oct 11th

As you have probably guessed we are motorcycle enthusiasts many of our previous trips have been on our motorcycle

Any help or advice on the best way to plan the trip will be very much appreciated.

cheers

Jan

Default How to Plan, and Others on the Way

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

People could write books (and have) about how to plan for various types of vacations, including ToadTrips. So it's going to be tough to give you anything but a few basic pointers in the space available here. But let's try.

Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes and along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.

Next start working out where you'll want to stay each night and where you'd like to send multiple days. With nearly a month at your disposal, this shouldn't be a constraint, but it helps to have a solid idea of the rate at which your going to cover the ground of your trip. 550 miles is a solid day of driving. 300-400 miles lets you take a few hours off the road to visit a museum or park. Those kinds of rules-of-thumb help to set your pace. I tend to like pre-booking my night's lodging well ahead so that I can do my shopping from the comfort of home rather than at the last minute and facing full-up motels. Others prefer to be free to g/stay wherever they like at the spur of the moment. That's a call the two of you will have to make.

So, what should be your general routing? Given the sites you already want to see, you're looking at a loop trip that would go roughly along the Gulf Coast to Louisiana, up the Mississippi to Memphis, across Tennessee to around Asheville NC, and then back down through South Carolina and Georgia to Orlando. You can, of course, go in the other direction which would put the ocean and gulf on your side of the highway. As I said at the outset, you should mark that out on a map of the south or US to get an idea of where you'll be going. Then you can start seeing what else is available. I've taken a quick look and here are a few other motorcycle venues you might want to add to your trip: The Tallahassee Automobile Museum has cars, toys and motorcycles, Lake Hills Motor Bike Museum in Corinth MS near Memphis, ARK-LA-TEX Antique & Classic Vehicle Museum in Shreveport also has some motorcycles, Cyclemos Motorcycle Museum in Red Boiling Springs TN even though it's a bit out of your way, Museum of Vintage Motorcycles and More in Warm Springs GA, and Blue Moon Cycle in Norcross GA which isn't a museum but has vintage cycles for sale.

AZBuck

Default Off the interstates.

While studying the maps so highly recommended above, you will note a variety of routes available on each leg. Leaving Orlando, I suggest you take US27 and alt27 from Ocala to Tallahassee. This is a much more pleasant drive than I-75 and not significantly slower. It is a divided road all the way and many trucks use it in preference to the interstates. It will take you through a few interesting small towns.

US-90 along the Gulf coast is also a very pleasant and scenic drive, though I agree it is more enjoyable heading east than west.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 05-05-2015 at 11:17 PM. Reason: typo

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

People could write books (and have) about how to plan for various types of vacations, including ToadTrips. So it's going to be tough to give you anything but a few basic pointers in the space available here. But let's try.

Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes and along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.

Next start working out where you'll want to stay each night and where you'd like to send multiple days. With nearly a month at your disposal, this shouldn't be a constraint, but it helps to have a solid idea of the rate at which your going to cover the ground of your trip. 550 miles is a solid day of driving. 300-400 miles lets you take a few hours off the road to visit a museum or park. Those kinds of rules-of-thumb help to set your pace. I tend to like pre-booking my night's lodging well ahead so that I can do my shopping from the comfort of home rather than at the last minute and facing full-up motels. Others prefer to be free to g/stay wherever they like at the spur of the moment. That's a call the two of you will have to make.

So, what should be your general routing? Given the sites you already want to see, you're looking at a loop trip that would go roughly along the Gulf Coast to Louisiana, up the Mississippi to Memphis, across Tennessee to around Asheville NC, and then back down through South Carolina and Georgia to Orlando. You can, of course, go in the other direction which would put the ocean and gulf on your side of the highway. As I said at the outset, you should mark that out on a map of the south or US to get an idea of where you'll be going. Then you can start seeing what else is available. I've taken a quick look and here are a few other motorcycle venues you might want to add to your trip: The Tallahassee Automobile Museum has cars, toys and motorcycles, Lake Hills Motor Bike Museum in Corinth MS near Memphis, ARK-LA-TEX Antique & Classic Vehicle Museum in Shreveport also has some motorcycles, Cyclemos Motorcycle Museum in Red Boiling Springs TN even though it's a bit out of your way, Museum of Vintage Motorcycles and More in Warm Springs GA, and Blue Moon Cycle in Norcross GA which isn't a museum but has vintage cycles for sale.

AZBuck
    Many thanks for the reply, I do have a Rand Mcnally Road Atlas that has served us well on many trips ( always buy a new one before we come home to the UK )
    On past trips I have done a bit of research and pre-booked hotels in busy places or if an event was scheduled or its a weekend. as we once arrived in Las Vegas when a huge convention was one and ended up on the Boulder Highway paying big money for a less than desirable hotel, but hey ho we learn from our mistakes.
    I did a rough draft last night and included two nights in New Orleans so will definitely book a hotel for this.
    The thing that is giving me a headache is The Angola Prison Rodeo as the only day we can attend is Sunday Oct 4 and because it is a prison you cannot take camera's and phones in so would need to book Sat and Sun in a nearby hotel so we have a secure place to leave our luggage while we go the Rodeo. We are hiring a convertible car and we know from past trips that luggage space is almost zero.
    Thinking of three nights in Memphis ( but would drop this too two) again I will book a hotel, one in Nashville, one in Maggi Valley one in Savannah then back to Daytona were we have booked a condo and I cannot change the dates. but doing it this way we will not make The Barber Museum.
    I will check out the links you provided to auto related museums and maybe I can include some of them.
    I shall try again today going the other way and see if I can fit more in. We usually try and keep the driving to 300 to 350 miles a day but will do 400 if needed. I do not drive so I think it would be unfair to expect my husband to drive longer distances.

Kind regards

Jan1955

5. Default

Thank you for the route information I will mark them on my map
    I do prefer to stay off the Interstates were possible as that way you see so much more and I enjoy passing through the small towns as you never know what you will come across.

kind regards

Jan1955

Default Other attractions off the interstates.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1955 View Post
    I enjoy passing through the small towns as you never know what you will come across.
    In case you are interested in more than motorcycles, the Levy County Quilt Museum is near Chiefland. There is a sign on the highway.

I shall try again today going the other way and see if I can fit more in.
    If you are considering doing this trip anti clockwise it will put you on US90 on the Gulf Coast east of New Orleans, right in time for

If you are considering doing this trip anti clockwise you will be on the Gulf Coast east of New Orleans right in time for Cruisin' the Coast When I stumbled upon this there were vintage and veteran cars everywhere as well as classics, hot rods and muscle cars. All from the era when the American car was king. All lovingly restored. I had a great time just admiring them where they gathered in supermarket and other carparks.

They have a week long schedule of events. No need to go to any of them, the cars are everywhere, many hundreds of them, and lots arrive before the opening weekend.

Lifey