Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Mike,

Thanks for jumping in here with the tips. I tried to locate one of your books. Do you write under Mike Weeks?

Mark

2. Default

Thanks again for all the input. Any recommendations as to where we should stay? We are considering Fredericksburg and driving back and forth to all of our sites. Thoughts?

Default Drop the 'Burg'?

I actually thing Frederick MD might suit you better than Fredericksburg VA. In Frederick's favor:
    It's not on I-95. It's within 60 miles (as the crow flies) of Gettysburg, Catoctin Mountain National Park, Baltimore, Washington, Annapolis, the northern end of Shenandoah National Park, Harpers Ferry, Antietem, Manassas, and Mount Vernon. It's not on I-95. It is at the intersection of several major roads including I-70, I-270, US-15, US-40, and US-340. It's home to both the Civil War Medicine Museum and the Roads and Rails Museum. It's a quiet, well kept college town (Hood College, Frederick Community College, Maryland School for the Deaf), and in case I haven't mentioned it (and this is important) it's not on I-95.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-10-2015 at 10:31 PM.

4. Default

Thanks for that advice. Any recommendations on a nice place to stay in Frederick?

Default Not Specifically, But...

One of the aspects of this forum is that advice is based on personal experience as much as is humanly possible. In our case (you and I) that means I can give you lots of advice about what to see and do but not so much about lodgings for hire. That's because I grew up in Wilmington, went to high school outside Baltimore, and still have family in Delaware and northern Virginia. So I visit a lot but never stay anywhere but with family and friends. However, I can give you some general advice based on my other travel experiences.

First and foremost, if you're going to be in an area for a week, as it seems you are on this trip, then I would highly recommend that you look for something a bit more comfortable than a single motel room. You're going to be spending a fair bit of time in your temporary 'home', and particularly with a family group, you'll need some room to spread out in and for there to be a 'quiet zone' if needs be. At the very least, I'd suggest you check out places that specialize in suites with separate living and bed rooms and have kitchen facilities. There are a couple of such national chains in the Frederick area: Extended Stay America and Residence Inn.

But actually, what my wife and I do when we're going to be in an area for a week of more is rent an entire house. This often costs no more, and sometimes less, than staying in a single cramped motel room. And even when it does cost a bit more we make most of that difference up by having a full kitchen that allows us to have two of our three meals each day at home rather than at restaurants. My wife usually finds us incredible deals. Her 'secret' is to look long and hard at the pictures of the home and choose a place that the owners have put some thought and care into. Websites that she has had success with include VRBO, HomeAway, RedWeek, and VacationRentals.

AZBuck

6. Default

So help me out...what's wrong with I-95?

Goes through all the big cities, very unscenic, a lot of it is toll, and it's always jammed with traffic?

Default I-95

I-95 on the east coast, particularly in the mid-Atlantic states is a nightmare. It is the major commuter road into and out of DC meaning that it's packed and slow from about 6:00 AM to 10:00 AM and again from about 3:30 PM to 7:30 PM. That severely limits the time that it would be useful to you as a visitor. To give you a clue, one of its intersections is known locally as "The Mixing Bowl" and it may be the only Interstate Highway in America with a draw bridge. Even in the wee hours of the night/morning truck traffic will be heavy as truckers try to get through the area without being slowed by commuter traffic. Personally, I most dread the section between Baltimore and Wilmington, largely because it doesn't slow down. Imagine bumper-to-bumper traffic moving at 80+ mph. If you can, avoid this road.

AZBuck

Default Trucker name for I-95

Back in the day, truckers called I-95 from about Richmond, VA up to Boston, MA the "Ho Chi Minh Trail". Just a constant battle 24/7/365. I avoid it like the plague.

Foy

10. Default

I understand that Gettysburg is self guided, but is there an option for guided tours with a Civil War buff/historian?