1. Default Portland to San Francisco - Aug 29 - Sept 6

I'm new to this forum so Im not sure if I'm posting in the correct area. My husband and I are flying into Portland Aug 29 (we arrive at 10am) and driving down to San Francisco (and flying out from there). So we are looking for some fun things to see, do and fun places to stay along the way (we saw some really cool places on airbnb). We have never really seen the west coast (aside from a few trips to Vegas). So I'm looking for some advice on the best routes and things to see along the way. We're both really big fans of being out doors, drinking (wine and beer) and having some fun. Any advice on best things to do, see, best places to stay would certainly be welcomed. We want to do some hiking and my husband wants to do some fishing. Otherwise, we are game for anything. We're in our mid thirties if that helps to provide some suggestions. We're not really sure how man days we should plan to spend where given that we don't really know what we want to see. :-)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

South of England.

Default Some suggestions.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

As you look around the forums you will notice that we really don't do 'best route' or best attractions' as people have different tastes and more often or not, you have options that are all 'best' but you have to make choices as you can't see them all. Now from Portland you have inland attractions and coastal or a bit of both. You could head inland along the scenic Columbia river gorge, visit Mt Hood perhaps and then head south towards Crater Lake. You could continue south inland through Lassen Volcanic NP to Lake Tahoe and Yosemite NP before cutting across to SF. Alternatively you could head to the coast around Crescent City from Crater Lake and then head south through Redwoods NP, Humboltd State park [drive the Avenue of the Giants] to Point Reyes and then do a little wine tasting in Napa valley, perhaps visit Muir woods and into SF over the Golden Gate bridge.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

Do you have an atlas or map (other than those online)? There's time to order one, or go buy one locally if possible. That will help you plan.

First thing that jumps out at me are your dates. Be aware that this is the last week before school starts in many areas, at least for those schools that still start the day after Labor Day (Sept. 7th). So if you are in a touristy area, such as Crater Lake National Park, you will want to make lodging reservations.

Crater Lake, Three Sisters Wilderness, Diamond Lake and Klamath Falls all jump out at me as places you may be interested in. Or, traveling down the coast along US101. Or a combination of all of those.