1. Default Moving from Albany, GA to Las Vegas

My dog and I are driving from Albany, GA to Las Vegas in July. I've planned the trip using some map sites, and I know how to get "from here to there" on the interstate, but I'd like to see some sites that might not be directly on that path. I had thought about going through the Grand Canyon and over Hoover Dam as I arrive into Vegas, but will somebody please make some other suggestions about possible dog-friendly detours off the interstate route? I can make the trip as leisurely as I want. Thank you.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

How long do you plan for the trip? It's a 4-day trip the way it stands, without making sightseeing stops, and that's driving 500 miles per day. (With a dog that will need to go for walks, 500 miles will be about 10-12 hours.) I know you said a "leisurely drive", but that means one thing to us and could mean something different to others, so we always ask.

Grand Canyon is absolutely beautiful, but you will run into a problem with the dog. He can be on a leash on the rim trails, but if you want to walk down into the canyon even 1/4 mile, he can't go with you. The good news is, the South Rim of the Grand Canyon has a kennel! He also can't get on the shuttle, so if you want to ride to certain viewpoints (and in some cases, it's either ride the shuttle or walk), you'd have to board Fido. They have day boarding and overnight boarding.

Unfortunately, the regular route between I-40 and Las Vegas, that used to route you over Hoover Dam, has been changed. There is now a bridge that you use. If you want to actually drive on the dam, read this guide first.

Other ideas that come to mind: drive through Petrified Forest National Park. Drive old route 66 (now labeled AZ-66) from Seligman to Kingman, through Peach Springs (the inspiration for Radiator Springs in Disney/Pixar's CARS movie). The Oklahoma City Memorial.