1. Default Please help, new traveler here

I need help desperately with my road trip. I am taking a rescue dog to his new family from West Palm Beach, Fl to Sacramento, California. I have that part of the trip planned already (I10)

But I have never traveled before so on my way back, I want to go through different states.

*San Francisco Cali, to West Palm Beach Fl
    *Need to stop semi close to Frisco Tx overnight in Oklahoma
    *Don't want to go thru NM, AZ, TX, etc as I will already see them on my way there.

Default Choose a route through many of the national parks.

Hi and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Get a road atlas, and check out a route from Sacramento which could include Yosemite NP, Death Valley, The Grand Canyon (yes I know it is in AZ), or the southern Utah NPs and depending on the time available, you could even go up to Colorado and RMNP.

When you lay a map or road atlas out in front of you the routes to these places become obvious.

You can choose any of the dozens (or hundreds) of routes, depending on how much time you have available for the return journey.

On your way there I-10 will take you right through LA traffic. You might be a lot better going up to I-40 and by-passing LA via Bakersfield.

Lifey

On your way there I-10 will take you right through LA traffic. You might be a lot better going up to I-40 and by-passing LA via Bakersfield.
    The way I recommend to avoid most of the LA traffic is stay on I-10 to Redlands, then take CA-210 to I-215 to I-15 over Cajon Pass, then US-395 to CA-58 to Bakersfield. You can take CA-99 to Sacto, or cut across to I-5 on CA-46. Drive times are a wash, CA-99 is a heavily used truck route through the Central Valley, I-5 may be a more pleasant drive as it bypasses all the valley cities.

I can also recommend a Phoenix bypass - at Casa Grande, take I-8 to Gila Bend and then AZ-85 back to I-10.

That only leaves Houston as a major metro with bad traffic as long as you take I-12 past New Orleans. I don't know what to suggest for Houston - the outer bypass is toll and I don't know if cash is accepted on the whole length. I do know your Sunpass won't work.

Last summer, the tollbooths on the Sam Houston Tollway were taking cash. That is how we paid.

I would recommend using I-5 rather than CA-99 due to the trucks, unless one is going to Fresno or similar.

Donna

Default Time factor.

How much time do you have available for the journey home ? On the way out I would have chosen to cut up to I40 and see the Grand canyon and then on the way home go through Utah and Colorado with some sightseeing. As you say you have not travelled before I have to ask, how much time have you allowed for the journey west ? A lot of people rely on electronic mapping programs that are not at all realistic for such long trips. For example; Google estimate 42 hours where a trip like this can not be measured in hours, it needs to be days. In this case you should plan for 5 overnight stops that are reasonably equal, with perhaps a slightly shorter last day.

6. Default

The trip there and back, I have two weeks for. I'm not as worried about traffic as I have an amazing GPS app for that. I also just need some good routes to take just from Sacramento, Ca to Florida that will take me through different states than I-10. I can't wander too much out of the way either as this is primarily an animal rescue trip. Both ways I'll be bringing dogs to their new families. I-10 is a great way to get to Cali, I've had a much harder time figuring out the way back though

Here's a thought (and with a good set of maps or road atlas, you'll see):

I-80 east out of Sacto all the way to Salt Lake City. Turn south on I-15 then east on US-6 down to Green River, UT. East on I-70, which will take you through some very scenic country on the west side of the state all the way into Denver. If you wanted to take the time (a day or so), you could go south at Green River to Arches National Park near Moab, then head back up to I-70. At St Louis, take I-64 east to I-57 south to I-24 east, I-75 south into Florida to go home. Some pretty drives are in there!

Donna