Default Winnemucca to Boise to Bend to Klamath Falls

Hi, all. I'm planning a kind of quicky road trip:

1. 95 North from Winnemucca, NV to Boise, ID (2 nights there);

2. 20 West from Boise to Bend, OR (2 nights there); and

3. 97 South from Bend to Klamath Falls, OR (2 nights there).

Map: http://www.roadtripamerica.com/maps/...02015%2520Trip

While this will certainly fulfill the driving part of the road trip, does anyone have any suggestions of things to do/see to break up the driving between cities? Oddball things to see/do, points of historic interest/beauty, etc. Just some short jaunts would be great to get me out of the car for around an hour or so. I do have things to do while in town, so that's all good. Nothing came up in "suggested attractions" outside of the cities, other than a couple of things between Bend and Klamath Falls.

Thanks folks.

I'll start off by saying that the drive is going to take you longer than you may expect, because the open road speed limit in Oregon is only 55. I don't know how well it's enforced out in the middle of nowhere, but just saying.

I've done the drive from Winnemucca to Boise, and I don't recall anything out there worth seeing. I've never done the drive from Boise to Bend, but between Bend and Klamath Falls the most obvious attraction is Crater Lake. Until around the end of May, it's only accessible via OR-62 from the south. If the north entrance and West Rim Drive open before you get there, that's the way I'd go.

A couple of places come to mind:

Just outside of Bend, there is Pilot Butte State Scenic Viewpoint.

Between Bend and La Pine is Newberry National Volcanic Monument.

Then there is Klamath Lake and Crater Lake.

Donna

Thanks for the suggestions for quicky side trips. Klamath and Crater lakes are a little too much to do for a break in the trip, although they are hiking destinations when I'm in Bend and Klamath Falls.

As to the trip taking longer than I expect, I'm not sure how that's arrived at. I'm giving myself a full 12 hours on the road between Boise and Bend. Estimated travel time from various sources is 5-1/2 hours. I figure with stopping for lunch, stopping for rest breaks, and traffic that 8-10 is most realistic. Is there something I'm not accounting for?

I mentioned that simply because of the 55 mph speed limit in Oregon on the open road. I didn't know if you were aware of that or not. It's 320 miles from Boise to Bend, and you would have to average 58 mph to do it in 5.5 hours. That ain't happening unless you murder the speed limit. There are plenty of winding stretches and towns, with no stops or diversions I can't see you doing it in anything less than 7 hours. 8 to 10 with lunch and rest breaks is probably pretty close.