Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Las Vegas to San Francisco in 3 days

Hi all,

Next August we are spending our holidays in the west coast. We have already booked hotels in las Vegas and San Francisco. After Vegas we have 3 days free to get to san Francisco on our own and here is where our doubts arise.

Option a: Vegas- grand canyon-death valley-Yosemite-san Francisco

Option b: Vegas- grand canyon- cambria-big sur- san Francisco

Optionc: any of the above mentioned without de grand canyon

Thanks in advance

Moderator Note: Thanks for looking at old posts, but we prefer to give each trip it's own thread.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-30-2015 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Moved Post ti it's own thread

Default The full picture for good advice.

Hi Trajano, and Welcome to the Great American roadtrip Forum.

Each one of your options would be a rushed option, considering the Grand Canyon and Yosemite really deserve at least a full day.

Would you care to share the rest of your trip, from beginning to end, with us, so that perhaps we may see another possibility? It always helps when we can see the full picture to give the most relevant advice.

Lifey

Default limited time = choices

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

With just 3 days, it will be tough do fit the Grand Canyon into your plans, and have time to do anything else. GC is a half day drive from Vegas, and then a day and a half away from San Francisco. That leaves one day to actually explore GC, and as Lifey mentioned, the park really does deserve a full day.

You could also do Death Valley and Yosemite, although, again, that by itself really takes up the better part of 3 days too. Day 1 would be driving to DV and staying nearby, Day 2 would be driving across TP and spending the night inside Yosemite, and Day 3 would be finish looking around Yosemite before heading onto SF, another 1/2 day drive.

The coast is also a possibility, but the same sort of rules are still going to apply. Really, any way you look at it, with only 3 days, you're going to have to decide which areas are your top priority.

4. Default

First of all thanks for your help. I know it's little time for too many things, we 'll try to lengthen the holidays but by the time being the plan is as follows: arrive in vegas de 11, two nights there. 3 days on our own finishing in san Francisco where we spend 3 nights. We take the plane back home from san Francisco.

If that's the time you've got, then I'd just focus on enjoying it, and accept that you can't get to everything.

Personally, I'd use the time to explore DV and Yosemite, because they are both great places, and they require the least amount of extra miles, so you'd spend more time enjoying yourself, and less time just trying to cover miles.

I agree with Michael, with 3 days DV and Yosemite are the best fit. If you drive across DV and spend the night in Bishop or Mammoth you will be able to enjoy the drive over Tioga pass the following day and explore parts of the valley. The next morning you could drive up to Glacier point and take a short walk to the viewpoint (Amazing !!) before continuing to SF.

7. Default

Well, finally I have to stick to these days of holidays. So I will follow your advice and do what you suggested. 2 days in Vegas (as I think we would regret not visiting the grand canyon, we are considering buying a helicopter trip and spend one of the mornings in las Vegas this way, although it is so expensive :-( ). Then renting a car and start our way to san Francisco vía Death valley and Yosemite. We get the car the 13th in the morning and our first night in san Francisco is the 16t, so I think we have plenty of time, don't we?
    Should I book the motels for the car trip in advance?

Thank you so much

Default Know what you are paying for.

Be 100% sure what you are getting when booking a flight to the Grand canyon. Most tours from Vegas go to the west rim which is not part of the National park and although the helicopter will be a good experience, you will not see the 'real' Grand canyon that is made famous through film and photography. The west rim is nowhere near as spectacular.

Plenty of time is subjective, you could spend 3 days in Yosemite and not see it all, but you do have enough time. I would book your lodgings in advance, or at least the night in, or near to Yosemite.

Default There's no comparison.

As Dave mentioned, few, if any of the tours from LV go to the Grand Canyon NP. Even though it is an OK experience, when you get to see the national park, you may regret having wasted that money on the flight. They are not cheap.

Worse still you may be enticed to take a trip to the Skywalk, which is also on the west rim and nowhere near the national park. Besides, this is even more expensive as it costs around $80 per person entry, and you will not be allowed to take any photos.

I'd give up any time in LV, or any other city, to visit the Grand Canyon (again). In the end all cities look the same, but the wonders of the natural world are unique.

Lifey

10. Default

Once again thanks a lot for answering my questions. I hope I'm not a pain in the neck :-)

The helicopter things is because it's our only chance to visit the grand canyon. We are hardly spending one and a half day in Vegas...

We are leaving the hotel in las Vegas the 13th and check-in in san Francisco the 16th. Taking into account that we are not going to hike, what will be the most logical schedule to cover in these days through DV and Yosemite to san Francisco so that we can see things and not get too much driving? Where should we sleep? Which car rental company would you recommend?

Thanks a lot