1. Default East New Jersey to Chicago, 5 days return roadtrip

I am planning for a two-way road trip from Tinton Falls, NJ to Chicago from (early morning)21st May to (late night)25th May in sedan car. Itís been a hectic work and study schedule for last few months so I plan to go out and relax with my wife and two friends.

This is my first road trip in US, I do not have prior roadtrip experience but I am quite excited about the trip and want to make most out of this.

I am interested in combination of:
    1. Scenic drive
    2. Visit nice tourist attractions and communities (Parks, good museums, adventure, fun places etc)
    3. Fun activity on the way
    4. Nice food

I want to spend as much time as possible in visiting places/attractions on the way to/from Chicago, I prefer to spend a day or two in Chicago. I prefer different routes while returning from Chicago to maximize my coverage and I am also ready to travel few miles extra/ off the route to visit places/attractions that are not in the route.

Thank you for your time in advance.

Joplin MO

Welcome to RTA!

5 days isn't enough for a round trip and be able to see much. You will have to plan very carefully and primarily take Interstates. Even by fastest roads with no sightseeing (essentially I-80 all the way) it's 1.5 days each way, it's 800 miles, which would only leave you 1 day and 2 half days in Chicago anyway. Many years ago, I lived in Red Bank and was stationed in Chicago, so I've made the trip back and forth many times.

If you have an EZ-Pass, it will work all the way if you take the toll roads.

3. Default

glc, Thank you for the suggestion and advice.

I think, I can add few more hours by starting in the late afternoon on 20th May.

Please suggest attractions along the route, I will try to adjust the duration of the trip accordingly. In addition, I will see if I can get couple of more days of leave :)